jrees2000

Managing Multiple Emails Addresses for 1 Person

The one thing that really bugs me about Outlook 2000 (SR2)is the difficulty in managing multiple email addresses (and Tel Nos) for one person.

You can enter several email addresses but its hard to access them and to be sure which is being used without double checking every time.

Alternatively you must maintain and manage several address "cards" for each person, which is unwieldy.

I've tried writing a slightly modified form with 3 email fields, but I'm nervous to convert to it as I have a huge address book which is important to me and I am not experienced with forms.

Can any one advise any easy work around or cost effectice utility/ add-in that can help with this problem.

Thanks - JR

Thanks

Re: Managing Multiple Emails Addresses for 1 Person

Having always used a PAB, I was not aware of this problem, but you're absolutely right: no matter what helpful parenthetical you might put in the e-mail name/address field, you get "ContactName (E-mail n)" both in the Select Names dialog and if you right-click an ambiguous partial name in an address field.

I thought perhaps I could hack the shortcut menu, at least, but I just can't find it. (My little program to comb through the menus is attached, FWIW.) I guess I'm glad I don't rely on the Contacts folder.

Sounds as though the best bet would be to create a custom name selector that supplies the name/address pair together. Someone have time to do that?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

exactly what do you want to do? are you using internet or corp mode?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it would be easier to upgrade to the next version (where it's handled differently) than to mess with hacking the form.

There is no shortcut menu to hack although if you want ot get rid of the (Email) part, you can hack a dll.

jrees2000

Thanks your several answers.I'm using internet mode:

I just want to be able to easily enter more than one email address for one address book entry and then easily choose which address I use on each occassion.

You mention the "next version" Do you mean Office XP? How stable is the current Beta ...

Thanks - Jon

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the versions past RC1 are surprizingly quite stable. i was shocked at the improvements when sent a later copy that was given to a small subset of testers.

Unfortunately only RC1 is available to the general public at this time (either by buying a copy for $20.00 or through msdn/technet)