Lounger
    Thanks

Task Bar lost after SP2 (2002 - SP2)

After installing SP2 in OXP I no longer can have Word open with the task bar open on the right. It momentarily opens and then shuts down and a full blank document screen is displayed. How can I correct this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Bar lost after SP2 (2002 - SP2)

See if <post#=123755>post 123755</post#> helps. There is also an MS KB article mentioned later in the thread.
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I have a *.dot file in one of the two startup folders. However it is the important "hidden field checker" recommended by Woody and I don't want to use its functionality as I share *doc files with others. I noted that there is a fix with a WOPR add-in, Where can I find such an add-in. Or is it possible to keep the functionality of the Hidden Field Checker but locating it somewhere else?
    Thanks Again,
    Bruce

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:
    I don't have Word 2002, so I haven't looked for add-ins for it. See if it's on the main page (there's a link called WOPR Frontpage at the bottom of all these pages). If not, check the WOPR board.

Alternatively, you can place templates in the templates folder. After you start Word, you can go to Tools/Templates & add-ins & check the box that loads the add-in. However, if you get documents from others frequently, this is a hassle.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I tried moving the *.dot file to the templates folder and didn't like the having to manually open the addin for every document after I opened each document. So tried to reinstall as originally installed and forgo the use of the task bar. HA - can't reinstall, and will not work as a template either. So once again I have learned the hard way about screwing with what is working - even if not working exactly like I wish:>(

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:
    One thing I didn't understand. Once you move the template to the templates folder, you don't have to add it every time you open a document. It's once per session. If you go to Tools/Templates & add-ins & check the template, it becomes global--available to all documents until you quit Word.

And you shouldn't have to reinstall anything to get back to the way you were. Just move the Hidden File Detector.dot back to the startup folder.

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately for me, it will not run as a addin template when located in the template file location nor can I reinstall it in either startup folder location. Get the same error message in all three cases, namely, "Error during Load" and "Macro could not be found or security settings need to be changed" Of course security settings changes to even Low do nothing.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:
    That is strange. Try starting Word from the command line (Start/Run) & type
    winword.exe /a
    then enter.

When Word starts, go to the Tools/Templates & add-ins & see if you can load the template (I take it it's in the startup folder, so it should be listed. See if that allows it to load.

Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, this does not work either. When I try to install the addin I get an error message and if fails. It also then locked up the program. I surely love MS:>)

Lounger
    Thanks

Could this problem be caused by Norton Antivirus scanning the documents before they open?

Lounger
    Thanks

Causes the same VBA runtime error as before. Nice try though.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure. Let's try something else. Have you been deleting your temp files. Every time Word (or Windows) crashes, it leaves behind temp files. Reboot the computer & then do this:
    1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    3. Type
    ~*.*,*.tmp
    in the "named" box & search.
    Then delete all these files. Now see if you can move the template back in the startup folder.

It has ocurred to me, that since I haven't actually used the Hidden File Detector yet, that perhaps the installer does more than put a template in the startup folder. Check the thread starting at <post#=185853>post 185853</post#> & post your question to Bill Coan, the author of the add-in. If he's still visiting the forum or gets email notifications replies to his posts, perhaps he could help.