New Lounger
    Thanks

CD-RW sound doesnt' go through loudspeakers

We have two CD-drives on our computer: one CD-Rom and one CD-Writer. When CD's are played on the CD-ROm drive the sound does come through to the loudspeakers hooked up to the computer. However when a CD is played on the CD Writer the sound does not come through the loudspeakers. The sound stills comes out of the sound jack directly on the CD-drive.
    It is being used with Win98 2nd Edition, WinMediaPlayer. CD-Writer is Mat######a CE-RW CW-7585. Computer is GEnuineIntel Celerom.
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD-RW sound doesnt' go through loudspeakers

The drive's audio outputs aren't connected to the sound card, or if they are, the jumper cable is connected to the wrong input. You can find universal CD-ROM audio connector cables at just about any computer shop, and plugging them in is a snap, if you don't have one.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I know I've posted this before, but I haven't been able to find the post. But anyways.... you may have the wire connected to the right place, on both the drive, and the soundcard / motherboard, BUT, the wires maybe backwards (rotated 180 degrees) at one end. Most of the connection wires for this are dummy proof, but, I've had experience with just this problem at work, where the cables were not dummy proof.

And to think, this was our vendor doing the repair job on a problem with the CD-ROM. Oh well... that's why I get the not-so-big bucks at work...
    Christopher Baldrey

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting point. I hadn't thought about reversing the plug in a PC, because in other audio applications all that does is reverse the phase of the speakers - meaning they push instead of pull, and vice versa. I would think that to be the same here but I'm too lazy to crack the case and look!!
    -Mark