New Lounger
    Thanks

File/Open doesn't go to My Documents (WinXP Pro)

I have a clean installation of Windows XP Pro in an empty partition. I am finding that the operation of the File/Open menus in several applications is working in a different manner than Windows 98 SE. It used to be that by default, File/Open typically went first to the My Documents folder, wherever it happened to be. But in WinXP Pro, it goes to the last folder I happened to use. Program A will use folder Y, then Program B will go to folder Y when I go to the File/Open menu. I spend a ridiculous amount of time navigating back to My Documents!

After installing WinXP Pro, I relocated the My Documents folder to my E: drive because I keep all data on E: instead of C:. Could this somehow be the cause? I am logged on as a user with Administrator rights.

Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File/Open doesn't go to My Documents (WinXP Pr

I wouldn't think that the version of Windows you're using has anything to do with where the File, Open command goes to retrieve a file. That function is part of each individual application and the preferences you have set for it. "Normally," the Microsoft products like Word, Excel and so on, do use the My Documents folder but you (or something) could have caused that to change. Many other apps use the "last folder accessed" to decide where to start the next time, so I don't think it has anything to do with Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File/Open doesn't go to My Documents (WinXP Pr

The identical applications behaved normally on Win98 SE; it is only on WinXP Pro that their behavior changed.

For example, Crystal Reports 8.5 can be set to go to a specific folder by default when you do File/Open. This setting is honored in Win98SE, but is ignored in WinXP Pro.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File/Open doesn't go to My Documents (WinXP Pro)

Word/Excel/Powerpoint all behave OK on my XP Pro, so maybe the way in which you moved your My Documents folder is to blame? Did you just drag/drop it, or did you move it using the Move button on the properties tab (see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm which seems to explain it all).