New Lounger
    Thanks

Text color (Excel 2002)

Does anyone know if there is a way that text color can change based on whether a value is negative or positive, or other criteria are met?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text color (Excel 2002)

There is. It's called Conditional Formatting and is in the Format menu.

-Lenny

3 Star Lounger
    Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Also worth re-membering that you can achieve quite a lot with ordinary cell formatting.

Extract from Excel 2000 Creat a customer number format help:- 'You can specify up to four sections of format codes. The sections, separated by semicolons, define the formats for positive numbers, negative numbers, zero values, and text, in that order. If you specify only two sections, the first is used for positive numbers and zeros, and the second is used for negative numbers. If you specify one section, all numbers use that format. If you skip a section, include the ending semicolon for that section. '

#,###.00;[ Red](#,###.00);0.00;"sales "@ - N.B. Do NOT put a space after the [ and before Red. I've put one here to get round thread formatting in the Lounge.
    Positive ; Negative ; Zero ; Text

Read between the semi-colons to see the effect each number type has.

Regards
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply, but being new to Excel, I am not really understanding the concept here and it is taking me a lot of "hit and miss" experimenting to get this to work. Thanks for taking the time to reply - I'm working on it!
    Best reagrds,
    Arthur

3 Star Lounger
    Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Arthur

The attached spreadsheet 'may' help explain Custom Cell formats to you. Basically I have used the four entries in A11 in three rows below. i.e. The values in the first row are the same values in the three rows below, they are just formatted differently. Alongside each row I have shown the format string used to create the effects.

If you highlight any cell(s) and press Ctrl+1 it will bring up the cell formatting window. If you look at the 'Number' tab, you will see how the cell(s) you have highlighted have been formatted. Perhaps try playing with this spreadsheet and see what you can create.

If this doesn't work, try posting a subset of your spreadsheet, explain what you want to achieve and I'm sure someone will jump in with advice. Good luck!

Regards
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files