Thread: Copy (95/97/2k)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy (95/97/2k)

I want to make a backup-module for my database: make automatically everyday 1 copy of the database, before using it, so in case of stupid-user-behaviour, I can put use an old database; ok, lose some days work, but that's worth the effort.

Who can help?
    Which VBA-commands tu use? Replicate?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Copy (95/97/2k)

There isn't any facility for backup built into Access - you will need to use some sort of OS backup command, write your own using OS commands, or buy a commercial product to do the job. I understand a company called FMS has such a utility, though I don't have any personal experience with it.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The filecopy command will copy a complete file, but not while it is in use, so you can build a little utility database called backup.mdb, that simply makes a copy of another db to a floppy ( or other specified location) , and run it by putting this code on to a button on the main menu:
    MsgBox ("Ensure a floppy disk is in A drive.")
    retval = Shell("C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE c:databasebackup.mdb", 1)
    DoCmd.Quit
    This closes the current db and opens the backupdb.

Backup has just one form, which is set to open automatically and display a message. In its onactivate event is the following code:
    DoCmd.Maximize
    Dim SourceFile, DestinationFile
    SourceFile = "C:databasemydatabase.mdb" ' Define source file name.
    DestinationFile = "A:mydatabase.mdb" ' Define target file name.
    DoCmd.Hourglass True
    FileCopy SourceFile, DestinationFile ' Copy source to target.
    DoCmd.Hourglass False
    DoCmd.Quit

The code above is written for a floppy but you could specifiy any destination you like. The assumption behind this is that you backup after you have been using it. You could modify it to backup before using the db. In this case run backup first, then have it open the main db.

If you want to keep all the old backups with different file names change the line
    DestinationFile = "A:mydatabase.mdb" ' Define target file name. to something like
    DestinationFile = "A:mydatabase" & format(date(),"dd/mmm/yyyy") & ".mdb" ' Define target file name.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Candace Tripp has a backup utility of sorts on her site at http://www.candace-tripp.com/access_downloads.htm
    Charlotte