Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Collating pages for a printing press

I have sent pages out to a printer. Usually we have printed two 8.5 x 11 sheets on one 11 x 17 paper and put a saddle stitch (staple) in the middle. In order to do this, it would be nice if I could print a 6-page document (for example) in the following page order 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4. A 7-page document would have the following page order 1, blank, 2, 7, 3, 6, 4, 5. Is there a way to assess whether the document has an even or odd number of pages, then print them in the order suggested above?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Collating pages for a printing press

<pre>Sub cmd_NumberOfPages()
    MsgBox ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties("Number Of Pages")
    End Sub
    </pre>

But I bet you get a lot of comments about whether it's the number of pages in a section, or in the document, and so on. I seem to recall a great deal of confusion over this issue a year ago, can't remember where.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd be happy to do it for a whole document (to avoid confusion).

I saw your answer. Unfortunately I am not at the level where I know what to do with it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In Word, choose Tools, Macro, VisualBasicEditor. There will be much clicking and whirring and you'll end up in the VBE staring at a nearly blank screen.

In the VBE Choose Insert, Module and you'll end up in the VBE staring at a nearly blank screen.

Into that big white space, paste the three line sI have above.

With your text cursor anywhere in the thre eline sof code, tap the F5 function key.

Alternatively, Alt-Tab back to Word and choose Tools, Macro, macros and scroll until you see "cmd_NumberOfPages"; double-click on that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Doing impositions require a tool other than Word. It just doesn't cut it. Any solutions in Word are clunky and won't easily account for gutter creep and colour separations and niceties like that. Having said that, a macro to change the print order is simple to create (but that only changes the print order and doesn't impose the pages). Alternatively you could use linked Text Boxes and pour the text from your A4 layout into an A3 layout etc. This would give you impositions of a sort.

Other possibilities are printing the file to postscript and then using the following Adobe Acrobat and the following website to instruct you on building the impositions
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/acrobat/acroimpo/main.html>Adobe Acrobat Impositions</A>. This provides good background but is involved enough that you wouldn't want to do it either. However setting it up once would work for future examples of the same layout.

The real solution is to use Page Layout software such as Pagemaker, Quark XPress or InDesign to layout the document and create the impositions automatically.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your expert advice and simple instructions. I really appreciate that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your input, too, Andrew.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

[shameless promotion}

You're welcome. See you over in VB/VBA forum?

[/shameless promotion}

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll have a look at it. I'm will be starting at ground zero, though. I know I have to learn it, but finding the time to do so is the problem right now. We just moved.

While I know enough about applications to be dangerous, some of you people really blow me away. Still the kindness that permeates this site is wonderful. NOBODY has made me feel dumb.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did this and all I got was the number of pages, which the status bar already tells me. By assess whether the document has an even or odd number of pages I meant to create the printing order of the pages that is necessary depending on whether there are an odd or even number of pages. If there are an odd number of pages, there is a blank page after page 1. If there are an even number of pages, the last page is printed second.

I guess I have to accept the statement in this thread that "doing impositions requires a tool other than Word."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Give me time .... (grin).

Wade right in. I've not met anyone yet who's an expert on everything; we are all learning. If you look at the threads in VBA you'll see that there's a great deal of give AND take, and I bet you know from your own life experience that you can learn a lot from those people who ask questions; especially the awkward ones.

What made you want to move when there's a perfectly good bunch of people in this neighbourhood? (grin!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, well, then you want a bit more code which, after obtaining the number of pages (as was set out earlier), has some sort of IF statement:

<pre>(pseudocode 'cos it's late Friday nigth)
    If number-of-pages is off then
    print page 1
    print a blank page
    print the remaimning pages
    else
    print page 1
    print the last page
    print the remaimning pages
    endif
    </pre>

Is that the sort of thinking you've got? If so it's pretty easy to write it up in VBA.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think so. It is not as easy as that.
    If there are an even number of pages ...
    With 10 pages, the printing order would be 1,10,2,9,3,8,4,7,5,6.
    However with 8 pages you would get 1,8,2,7,3,6,4,5.
    However if you had an odd number of pages
    with 11 pages the printing order would be
    1,blank,2,11,3,10,4,9,5,8,6,7
    and with 9 pages you would get 1,blank,2,9,3,8,4,7,5,6
    Somehow it has to discern whether it is going to use the odd or even pattern along with the total number of pages, then figure out the "mate" for the numbers going up in sequence (in other words, if I print page 1, what goes with it? If I print page 2, what goes with it?) I am content with the answer that it can't be done in Word, however, I enjoy your spirit of inquisitiveness, Chris.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There was a guy called Jack Passarella on the ILINK BBS network wrote this about four years ago. I think he's inactive in Word now (he wrote a book "Wither" and sold the screen rights), but there may be his post floatinga round via the internet.

I think it's the old problem of folding a sheet of papaer into octaves (three folds) and working out where the pages go, what orientation and what number, right? That shouldn't be too difficult an algorithm. The code to orientate an individual page, and the code to select and print an individual page is at hand.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

John

The page count is always a multiple of 4 not 2. Printing with a saddle stitch assumes you are putting two pages on a side and double siding it.

The algorithm for the order of pages if you wanted a print which you could then put in a photocopier and copy in this way would work something like this.
    Count pages and add blanks to make a multiple of four
    Now print out in the following order
    Last, First, Second, Second Last, Third Last, Third, Fourth, Fourth Last, Fifth Last, Fifth, Sixth, Sixth Last ... until you run out of pages

Another way of working out the algorithm for the page order is that of the total page count (must be a multiple of 4) the side by side pairings of page counts must total (Page Count + 1) eg 16+1, 2+15, 14+3, 4+13, 12+5, 6+11, 10+7, 8+9
    You might also notice the even number is always on the left side of the two up print.

The maths is pretty easy really so coding an algorithm is not all that difficult until the page count becomes so large that multiple saddles are required and the job becomes a book.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast