4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tablet PC (1.0?)

Does anybody know if there will be a Office software version for the Tablets? Better yet, where can I go to talk to someone about what the Tablet can do and find out more about cost.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Tablet PC (1.0?)

They will be hitting the streets I think in the Middle of November. In the mean time check out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check out this site http://www.tabletpcevent.com/ for a listing of Tablet PC events.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Daniel--

This MS Office site explains to a degree Office XP and Tablet PC and you can view a demo here, and this is the Download Center for Microsoft Office Pack for Tablet PC at 1,178KB.

Also MSN has at least one Tablet Newsgroup now with more to follow to pick up on the users' comments and the MS product team's tips.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Daniel--

The flood of tablet PC articles will start today--launch tomorrow for MS software--they have fun features but are pricy at an average of $2000 to $2500 and will probably not hit the "geek chic" early adopters who love the toys no matter how fast a web page loads. They will have full Win XP capablity in contrast to some of the PDA Win CE versions--I tried one out the other day--Acer. You can scribble into Tablet and it will have at least Word/ Excel on it as do many of the PDA's with Win CE. You can scribble and produce a word document from your scribbling--with how many nuances and features I'm not sure. Have to check if it will have all the Office complement of components--have more articles than I can currently digest. It will obviously have a niche for people on the go doing scribbling;--insurance estimators/doctors and nurses/people in warehouses doing inventory and shippping, and many others. HP has a "three in one." I look for a smaller "form factor"--I think those are big words meaning the way it looks in your hand--to become lighter--and to have a smaller "price point"--I think that means its wallet biopsy if it is to be a big seller and hit potential niches.

Here are a few Tablet PC articles to start you--there are links within them to more:

Office 11--Beta 1 Major Advances for Developers, Minor Improvements for Users--it always seems like MS Wish and its Beta
    feedback has major hearing loss.

PC Mag Nov 7: The Tablet PC Strives to Redefine

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://news.com.com/2009-1001-964733.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed"> CNet News: Tablet PC
    Success Not Set in Stone</A>

HP to Offer Three-in-One Tablet PC

Noticing Dell is going to show its PDA's at Comdex Dell to debut Handhelds at Comdex. Its a matter of time before Dell gets into the Tablet PC market with the other six or seven.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

I was chided for posting "news"--deleted, in fact when news has been ubiquitous and ectopic in the lounge, so I only put up articles in response to a direct question on a thread. I believe the line between "news" and information say on Tablet PC, or Office 11 is fine and news is relevant.

I can see where sketchy rumors on Longhorn alpha (it is in alpha) or Blackcomb screenshots may not have their place in the lounges's cyber-real estate.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

I will try to get the extent of Office's applications/functionality defined further for Tablet PC.
    The launches start tomorrow--may be one in your city. One of the major ways that Microsoft plans to make money on PDA's and Tablets and wireless devices that have the Windows OS is to deploy Mobile Information Server applications and server sync service capability; and big time on the billing for the information transmitted.

An important point was made at a MS meeting demonstrating Tablet PC, the new Smartphones, and some PDA's 2 days ago: You are not just being billed for the airtime on your phone--you are being billed expensively for the messaging and word content posted--as with Blackberry--so if one transmits a lot of messages, text, or documents you might do better with a blanket rate per month--and that is around $90 for a number of these devices now.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Huge Hype but Really Disappointing

Comparison Stats of 5 Leading Tablet PC's New York Times Circuits October 7,2002

After looking at a number of Tablet PC sites, and watching the newsgroups, seeing MS demonstrate the Tablet PC and thumbing through about fifteen at length articles in Wireless magazine, and then looking at them physically--they seem to have a lot of potential particularly for vertical applications--in companies with warehouses, salesmen, certainly medical--for people who are on the go and have to scribble notes or for taking notes. However, Tech TV's lab director reviewed it last night after using a number of them and pointed out some tremendous drawbacks to the current versions:

1) They are costing from $1700 (HP's Three in One) to $3000.

2) The Fujistu currently has 60% of the Tablet market--mainly in vertical enterprises now. It doesn't have a keyboard; the Acer Travel Mate C-100 does; HP's does.

3) Battery life is a really disappointing 2-4.5 hours. It should be around 10 particularly for that price. This makes it difficult for a salesman or someone who is running around with it to use. They want to carry it like a real tablet in their hands without having to dock it all the time.

4) It gets physically plenty hot and stays hot. So do some lap tops, and that's a real drawback for it.
    These two things are going to sober all these people jumping up and down on the msn group saying "I landed one and the salesperson didn't know anything about it."

5) The HP screen leaves a lot to be desired when compared with other laptops or notebooks.

6) If you scribble a message and the recipient doesn't have a tablet, they won't be reading it.
    If you don't write neatly, and some of us don't some of the time-it will make jibberish out of the URL you think you were going to.

7) The written text translating into typed Word text is an interesting idea; however it's completely dependent on the quality of the OCR--and that quality is very low end. So it doesn't work that well at all.

8) It can "search written text"--but this feature is dependent on the low quality OCR--so this doesn't work well.

9) The MS hype is that Mr. Gates "is using this as his main computer now"--that's got to be impossible, and I don't think anyone could use this as their main computer. While it has Windows XP for Tablet PC (you cannot run your Win XP Home or Pro on any tablet. It has it's own Windows XP operating system.) The sale of this potentially useful product which doesn't deliver any of its hype has very high profit margins. I think what will happen is it will do a belly flop--these drawbacks will have to be fixed, and the price will have to go way down.

Given the ridiculously high price for what it now delivers, the awful battery life, its heat, its low end OCR, I would opt to put that money in a good laptop or notebook which also gives you CD, DVD, CD burning capability and soon more battery life and dvd burning.

Tremendous potential--especially as people in each field have applications written and designed for it that serve them, but as a new "magic slate computer," right now I think that it's hype is really misleading and MS projects 1/3 of the adopters will pick it up this year--Gartner much less. It is really going to have to change to have widespread general application.

defrag