2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BLKLS436244 (WIN XP SP1)

Whenever I leave my PC alone for a while I get a series of error message windows with the Title BLKLS436244 and the message "Not Found" This is a new PC that came with WIN XP already loaded. I could not find a reference to this error in the Windows XP Knowledgebase.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: BLKLS436244 (WIN XP SP1)

Never seen this one, but a good place to start would be to check your running processes and see if you can spot something out of the ordinary. If you want, make a screenshot and post it here so the group can look at it too. Maybe someone can help you spot what's going on. You might also take a look in MSCONFIG to see what's being started at bootup. See if we can't get some more evidence to look at, OK?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hope this makes more sense to the gurus than it does to me. It does not appear possible to build a PC big and fast enough to run all the tasks that MS loads with WIN XP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>It does not appear possible to build a PC big and fast enough to run all the tasks that MS loads with WIN XP.<hr>
    I'd have to disagree with that point. Microsoft's minimum recommendations are ridiculous, but from what I see listed in your Task Manager screenie, a goodly amount of what's running in the background isn't Microsoft. Symantec WinFax, Paint Shop Pro, and a few others. Depending on how much RAM you have, you might consider more. XP runs most comfortably with at least 256MB, preferably 512. If you've never used an NT based operating system before, all those processes sure would seem like a lot but that's actually not too far out of whack.

At any rate....the BLKLS436244 not found that you mention doesn't sound like something nice. It sounds, in fact, like some sort of trojan has come to live on your PC, or something equally shady. Are you running AV software? When does this error seem to occur - as a result of something else or just out of nowhere? What is listed in your startup items using MSCONFIG (Start- Run - MSCONFIG)? Check your system's Event Viewer also and see if there are any red or yellow flags that offer more in the way of explanation.

Also, try disabling as many runtime tasks as you can, such as SETI, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, start bringing them back one at a time to see which process causes this to appear.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a new PC with 512MB RAM. The Event Viewer does not show any abends that coincide with the BLKLS messages. The messages pop-up randomly but always when I am not using the PC. Of couse, SETI is running then. I have NAV 2002 with Live Update enabled, the latest version of Zone Alarm and I periodically run Ad-Aware. If it is a Trojan Horse it is unknown to Norton and Lava Soft.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think Mark is right - you ought to shutdown some of those running apps and then let the PC sit idle to see if you continue to get those messages. Good candidates would be RealPlayer, DirectCD, SetI, and whatever else you can. There's a lot of stuff running there that isn't mission critical and one of those ######s is causing these hiccups. I mean, if necessary, you might have to start with a naked system (or work your way backwards to get there).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. It appears that mmtask.exe is the culprit. The messages stopped when I killed this process.

When I rebooted (which restored all the processes I had terminated before I got to mmtask.exe) I expected the messages to resume - they did not. No messages in the last 24 hours. Before I manually killed mmtask.exe the messages were coming about every 15 minutes.

I should be satisfied that the messages stopped but, since mmtask.exe is still running, I am not sure whether my PC is only in remission and not cured.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.