New Lounger
    Thanks

Report Glitch (- Access XP (SR2))

Hello,
    We recently upgraded to Office XP. I've been distributing an MDE that's come up from 97 to XP thru the years. Upon converting the app from 2000 to XP format, when I turn ot over to my users they can't run reports from it. I get a message saying that the printer information cannot be retrieved for the object. Even tho the reports are designed to "use default printer", they still won't use the user's default printer they keep wanting to print to the printer in my office! It's as if Access won't "let go" of the printer. What works is for the user to first preview the report, select the Page option from the print menu, select "specifc printer" then re-select "use default printer". Every time they wish to print, on every report. A Microsoft guy I've been communicating about this with says he's heard of this happenning, and that I could just "code around" it, making the app de-select & re-select "default printer". Not my idea of a solution. Besides, if MY printer isn't in their queue, they can't even open the report at all. Does anyone have any suggestions, before I tell management we can't use the product & have to go back to 2K? I'm running Win 2000 as an OS, and both the MDE & MDB files share this behaviour.

Thanks to all,
    John Lawrence
    NANA/Colt Engineering LLC

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Report Glitch (- Access XP (SR2))

Hi John,
    Couple of questions - are you running a front-end on each workstation, or is everyone pointing to one database for forms and reports, and are you making the printer assignments in design mode or in preview mode? We've had good experience with printing reports in XP - in fact you have a fair bit more control over the printer selection process in XP than has been available in any previous version. But we always use a split design where the user can set their printer preferences based on their default printer. BTW, there aren't any significant benefits in using the XP format that acrue to most users - and it does prevent someone with Access 2000 from using the database.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,
    Front end per workstation. Data Database is shared. Also, if I install on an NT machine, the app utilizes the default printer just fine but it messes up the file extension association with the user's own Access 2000 stuff. Tries to use the runtime to open any Access database instead of the user's copy of 2000.
    On a Win 2000 PC, If the user is able to preview the report (some are designed not to) they can preview the report and then set the printer to the default by choosing it from the print dialog. But they have to do this for each instance of any report. And it only becomes an option if *my* printer is in their print queue! Otherwise they can do nothing with it at all..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
    John Lawrence

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I took a quick look at the Microsoft knowledge base and found this article that may be of value: Printer Properties Not Inherited by Objects That Use the Default Printer
    Also note that there are similar issues with Access 2000 as noted in Can't Use PrtDevMode or PrtMip Property with MDE Files
    Not sure either of these will solve your problem, but they may point you in the right direction.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    Thanks, I looked all over the KB for something like this. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again,
    John Lawrence