Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag leaves 12% fragmentation (XP Home SP1)

No matter how many times I run it, the native defrag in my XP Home leaves 24% file fragmentation, 12% overall (or so it says). Everytime I run "analyze" on my main hard drive (25 gig parition with at least 20 gig free) it says to "defragment now", and I do, but the next report shows the same level of fragmentation.

Any ideas?

Many TIA

Thanks

Re: Defrag leaves 12% fragmentation (XP Home SP1)

Can you list the files still fragmented?
    (Sorry - I use Diskeeper so I am not sure what reports are available in the vanilla XP.)
    Some files in use can not be de-fragged - make sure you have a minimum of applications running.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll double check, but I don't believe it showed anything in the box of "files that could not be defragmented"

I run defrag with no other apps running (but of course Task Manager would show a fair amount of "processes" in the background.

Thanks

Thanks

I have used the resident defrag on XP and the results are simliar to yours. I have, however, gone from the same 12% you had to 0% using Diskeeper Lite, and yes, I will swear by it. As Leif indicated, it is important to end as many programs/processes as possible.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Easy solution is bring up the machine in SAFE mode.Then start defrag, and go to bed for the night.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post deleted by defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I always close all running apps, but as I said there are some processes running, which I don't usually end for fear of affecting system stability.

I took another look last nite and noticed in the box for "Most Fragmented Files", it seemed to list a lot of system restore snapshots. Perhaps those are the reason defrag can't get below 12%?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was having the same symptoms, and I tried turning System Restore off (for various other tweaking around reasons, as well) Once I had system restore off, the hd defragged to 100 percent...this was with diskkeeper lite. Maybe SR off, defrag, then set SR on a defragged hd. Could be a little scary if something were to go wrong on the defrag with valuable data (can we say BACKUP???) But this was only my very unscientific observations while fooling around, so it all may be co-incidental.

kip

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Esschior--
    The key is what that 12% represents--not the number. The number by itself is completely meaningless. I have asked a Tech veteran at Executive Software to comment on this post, and he will do so below in hopes that everyone can leave with the correct idea about an important concept that is mixed up with regularity by power users and IT veterans. [i]It ain't how much is fragmented--it's ID'ing what it represents.[i] If you use Diskeeper 7.0, you can identify the file and find out what the 12% means. It's probably normal. You can try it here Free Trial Diskeeper 7.0..

With the full version of Diskeeper 7.0. you can run whatever you want whenever you want. You don't have to interrupt a single application you are running, nor do you have to close any browser window or disable any antivirus or other security programs. I ran it with Sys Idle Process at 95%, NAV up, and 28 windows open. No problem. And you can set it to run around the clock--it'll keep your fragments minimal and you won't know it's running at all. Two settings "Smart Scheduling/Every day" Bodda Bing /Bodda Boom-- you're through period!

Please see the comment on your question and this thread from Tech Support at Diskeeper below. Hope it helps.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Comment on this thread from Diskeeper

Esschoir--

Leif asked the key question when he responded:
    <hr>"Can you list the files still fragmented?"<hr>
    I showed this thread to Chris Wheaton, who is a Technical Advisor for Executive Software, the makers of Diskeeper. Chris has been there through all versions, and doing technical support for twelve years. Here is what he wrote about your question:
    <blockquote><hr>Thank you for sharing some of the debate that goes on there at Woody

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Esschoir--the reason you can't go below 12% is straight up that those files are not meant to be defragged at all, and their size makes them take up 12% of real estate. You can get the answer by downloading Diskeeper 7.0 which will give you the identity of these files, and I think help you realize the 12% is simply a spacial/real estate--not a functional or physiologic representation--its quantitative not qualitative and it could well be some Sys Retore files--why guess when you can get the answer with three free mouse clicks?

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the many and insightful replies to my post. I had no idea a simple post about defragging would generate such a response!

I will experiment with a) deleting the system restores, and/or [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] diskeeper.

Thanks again!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, Windows Platform News for October 15, 2002 (newsletter from Microsoft) endorsed Diskeeper as a Defragger--this is what they said:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

WUGNET Shareware Pick of the Week
    Each week WUGNET

Star Lounger
    Thanks

More fun and games with the different defraggers and how they analyze and report the same situation.

My original post related to my home PC. At work, I have Norton Speedisk, which currently reports more than 11% frag, and identifies as the most serious offenders a number of system restore snapshots (remember? the same thing that made my home PC (with native windows xp defrag) get stuck on 12% overall frag).

Take the computer in its exact same (apparently) fragmented state, and run native defrag analysis. Report? 1% total frag - no need to defrag.

on another computer on the network, NSD and Defrag are again on opposite sides of the debate - but they have switched sides. There, the NSD reports all is well (<2% frag), but Defrag freaks out and sees 39% frag!).

So what gives? Obviously, the true nature of fragmentation is in the eye of the defragger.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Kip--I posed this question to Tech Support at Exec Soft just now. You don't have to touch system restore when you use the defrag utility in XP made by them or if you used the more robust Diskeeper 7.0. Either of them will not touch any of the System Restore files ever--move them or defrag them. You can of course delete old system restore settings or limit it's space for files. I believe it's coincidental that you got to 100% turning it off; please remember that as Chris Wheaton said, it's not the real estate that percent takes up that's left, it's what's on the space; % files left non-defragged do not mean inefficient defragging; rather they mean files that are not meant to be moved or defragged.

The one crucial thing you can do to maximize your quality of defrag these guys have stressed repeatedly to me--it's a huge deal to these people who spend their careers working on defrag support and other utilities they make--is to give the defragmentor enough space to work and you will notice the performance improvement--they want 30% minimum--I have seen figures as low as 20% but at least give your drive 20-30% free space.

defrag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast