Lounger
    Thanks

Drive listing VERY slow (XP Pro)

My computer system is acting very weird! I had to re-install XP Pro after I had a hard drive slide-in case go bad. The current install is pretty new and uncluttered...and all works OK except for a major problem with locating drives.
    When I click on My computer (or Explorer or another product I usually use-PowerDesk Pro) it takes a minimum of 2 minutes for the drives to be listed (I have 3 physical drives-with partitions C-I) up to 5 full minutes. Once found the drives, folders and files are all viewable. WHILE the computer is doing this thinking and pondering I can open/run programs on various drives, open a dos window and do a directory on each drive, open a previously made shortcut to a specific drive and see all folders and files.... Eventually the window for My computer will display all drives and you can click open all folders files etc...then, if you close the window, and re-open My Computer-you go through the same 2-5 minute look-see to determine what drives are avail.
    Computer IS on a home network-tho' that is not working great at present and will be a topic of another post. Same behavior is found (slow to find drives/directories in the window) with and withOUT the network cable connected, with and withOUT the CD burner, the 2nd IDE cable. (was thinking might have a bad drive or cable to the drives)
    If I boot into Win98 I can see all drives no problem.
    And a DOS command window can directory all drives at the same time that the XPWindow is doing it's thinking and s l o w finding of all drives.
    If I am in Word, PhotoShop, Excel etc...all goes fine until you go to save a file-if you want to save to a different location than the default-you go through the same 2-5 min. wait while the system finds itself.

Any thoughts?
    I'm sure stumped.
    Lori

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive listing VERY slow (XP Pro)

Last night I logged into my system under Win98. I then removed all traces of XP (the doc and setting folder, the system restore folders all drives and the Windows directory. As well as any boot files from the C drive {my XP is installed to *D*]) Then I did another install of XP. Everything finally came up fine-could open My computer, Explorer, etc and access the drives [*C* - *H*] as well as a SCSI CDdrive *K* and an IDE CD/RW *J*. All were accessed immeditaley and with no problems. Thought all was good. Then I installed Office XP, Pulisher XP, my Canon printer... all with no problems. Installed PhotoShop 7...still OK,
    then, suddenly NOT OK!??!! Huh?
    Hit the My Computer icon...and slow, slow, slow-the stupid flashlight looking all over....5 minutes later it lists all drives-you can open any drive, see the folders, open a folder, see the contents...you can NOTgo back *Up* the tree without a 5 min. search...if you close My comuter. then reopen it starts at square one and does a 5 min. look around...
    What in the world?? I am really stumped. Hoping someone has some ideas.
    Lori

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There are several services running in background in WinXP that can slow down your computer performance.

Try to disable monitoring of your partitions. Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System restore. Click on "System Restore Settings" link on the left pane, then System Restore tab. Disable monitoring on your partitions (except C: or any other where you install programs, if you wish) by highlighting partition icon and clicking Settings button, then checking "Turn off System Restore on this drive" checkbox.

There are other services also, but try these first.

Disable turning hard drives off when not using. Right-click anywhere on your desktop and from pop-up menu choose Properties, then Screen Saver tab. Click Power button. Change the time in "Turn off hard disks" drop-down menu.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you-good suggestions...but have tried them already-without noticing any difference. :-(
    Other programs all running fine. ie. computer is not running slowly-it is only the displaying of the full drive system (like you get in My Computer, Explorer etc)-or if you choose to select a different location for a save of a file...it is that listing of the drives that simply brings the thing to a halt. Yet while it is crawling as it tries to figure out the drives-you can open and close other apps at normal speed and without any problems.
    Lori

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Hi Lori, In Windows explore go to Tools | Folder Options | View then un-check 'Automatically search for network folders and printers'.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

Joe has a good idea , although I am running WinXp Pro on three machines that are networked with that item checked and running. I think one mistake you made was reloading to many things before you had time to check and see, if one of them might be causing the problem. Try uninstalling one thing at a time or disabling one thing at a time and rebooting and see if thier is a compatibility problem. Because as you said, everything was running fine untill you loaded your [Cannon Printer, Office XP, Publisher XP And Photo Shop]. My bet is on the Printer Driver. Anyway try Joe's idea first.

Administrator
    Thanks

Cowboy, I've found the problem with having it checked is not when you're networked and all PCs with all devices are up. It is when there is one or more PCs down (turned off or otherwise disconnected from the network) or one or more networked printers/folders are unavailable. MS has some fairly long timeout value so Windows Explorer just waits for a while. You've got a good shot at being right with the printer driver. They are pretty unpredictable.

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

Your probably right. I keep mine up and running all the time so I have never run into that problem. But that makes a lot of sense because the computer is looking for the other networked machines that are down and can't locate them. And then it says , OH ok it's not on ( 5 min. later} That's Windows for ya.

Administrator
    Thanks

Could be there is a registry setting to control the timeout. But I've never tried to find it and even if I found and changed the value that could lead to other unintended problems with network related activities. So, I just uncheck the option.

Joe
    Joe