Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Toolbar

KTYorke

Sticky Toolbar

I created a template in W97 that includes a toolbar that with a few drop-down lists of all my macros.

Whenever I open a new document, (or even a document using this template as a matter of fact) the toolbar may open on the same line as the standard toolbar, formatting toolbar and sometimes on it's own line above or below the standard or formatting toolbar. How do I make this new toolbar consistently open on the same line as say, the formatting toolbar? (I just hate the wasted space when it opens on it's own line [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] and having to move it back every time I open a document)
    thanks.
    have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sticky Toolbar

This happens to me occasionally, but not frequently enough to worry about. If you had decided to honeymoon in Perth, or even Adelaide, I'd email you a copy of my "BestFit Toolbars macro", but you didn't so I won't (grin!).

The solution may be something like placing the toolbars where you want them and then saving the Normal template?

KTYorke

I did try saving the toolbar in that position on the template... no such luck... [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]

But Perth is so far away from... well, everything as far as we've been told... It's bad enough we have to spend most of the honeymoon in the air [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img] (luckily my company takes good care of us and is giving me an extra week vacation as a wedding present... makes a lot of people around here want to get married again! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img])
    have fun

Thanks

Silly logic time:
    What happens if your optional toolbar also contains the contents of, say, your formatting toolbar. Then, you close your formatting toolbar and open your optional one where, hopefully, there is enough space for it not to think there's no room?

KTYorke

[img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img] Geeze I'm sorry [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/beep.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]. I have no idea what would have caused that lack of vision on my part... I just reversed the silly logic though... I added my 3 drop-down lists to the Formatting toolbar and all is right with the world again.

*sigh* I'm going for another cup of coffee...[img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img]
    thanks
    have fun

Thanks

> I have no idea what would have caused that lack of vision on my part..

Thinking about the honeymoon, I'll wager...[img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/love.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

KTYorke

[img]/w3timages/icons/sarcasm.gif[/img] Thinkin' about the honeymoon I'll wager [img]/w3timages/icons/starstruck.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/sarcasm.gif[/img]
    [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I added my 3 drop-down lists to the Formatting toolbar and all is right with the world again

I am an old curmudgeon, and don't hold with adding my FANTASTIC custom items to Bill Gate's sordid toolbars. "The Underground Guide To Word for Windows" (Woody Leonhard) changed my view of Word, and a large part of the first chapter seems to based on "ripping useless stuff out of the standard toolbars because they are but a sales/marketing ploy".

Why else would I be in Woody's Lounge?

Woss gonna happen when you re-install Word, or lose your Normal.dot or corrupt your INI or OPT file? Your carefully crafted toolbar buttons/menus with their beautiful black-swan logo button images will be GONE!

I got rid of the Formatting toolbar years ago. It's for wimps who haven't learned Styles and the StyleAreaWidth (Tools, Options, View). Silly young things .....

KTYorke

Well, here's the trick, this isn't my normal.dot. This is a custom template I created for my department (with a million backups) so I'm not bothered by merging everything on one toolbar.

I have W97 Annoyances, also written by our fearless leader (well, other than [img]/w3timages/icons/king.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/witch.gif[/img] Eileen, although she's mentioned in the Acknowledgments), and it also mentions stripping the toolbars of useless buttons...

I haven't taken the Formatting toolbar off for two reasons. The template was created for my entire department (all of whom are old enough to be my parents... some are pushing grandparents...) and still use the mouse to apply styles with the Style drop-down. And because I'm an avid keyboard user and apply all my styles on the fly with CTRL+SHIFT+S to access the drop-down, type in the first one or two letters of the style, then hit ENTER and move on.

And when refering to the Style Area Width in Tools>Options>View (W97) you have to clarify that that option is only in Normal and Outline view. I may be a [img]/w3timages/icons/baby.gif[/img] but I can hold my own when it comes to figuring out what styles I've applied. They don't call me the Czarina around the office for nothin'! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>And because I'm an avid keyboard user and apply all my styles on the fly with CTRL+SHIFT+S to access the drop-down, type in the first one or two letters of the style, then hit ENTER and move on.

Well, I can't comment on this except to say that it seems like an EXTREMELY slow way to apply styles (paragraph and/or formatting) with the keyboard.

Why not just assign a shortcut key?

Shift-Ctrl-N gets you Normal paragraph style
    Shift-Ctrl-M gets you MacroText paragraph stule
    Shift-Ctrl-K gets you smallKaps character style
    Shift-Ctrl-B gets you Bold character style
    etc.

P.S. My dictionary (Canadian Oxford p87) defines Avid as "greedy")

KTYorke

AAAAHHHHH!!!! [img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img]!!!! I've had to brainwash everyone here (in the office) that using normal is evil!!!
    We're not using Word to merely type letters here... we're creating user manuals, participant guides and other manuals that have to look and feel consistent as well as easy to read.

I have a style list of 35 styles that defines everything form Headings to callouts to trainers notes to TOC levels. (my thing is, if it's not in the style list, you don't need it) Definitions such as small caps are already in the styles I've created... the user doesn't have to think about what it should look like or where to align the text, the styles I created do that all for them. So you see, it's MUCH quicker than fixing every other paragraph that's set in normal [shiver] to get the same look for all of our documentation.

Direct formatting is a no no, other than the application of bold and other such character formatting along the M$ style guide suggestions.

PS... dictionary.com Avid: keen interest and enthusiasm
    Word's thesaurus: passionate [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> using normal is evil!!!

nah! It's WORSE than evil. We ought to be able to agree on that.

But does shortcut key assignment to styles force you to use Normal.dot? I thought you could have th estyle defined in your base template and still assign it a shortcut key. Ought to be able to assign 95% of the style use this way, leaving only 5% of the times when styles are being applied that one goes through the drop-down menu.

And you do use that 'style for following paragraph' technique, I know.

KTYorke

Oh *whew* I'm glad we agree on the use of normal. Every style I've created is based on that, so if someone accidentally changed it every other style would be messed up as a result.

I guess I could assign shortcut keys to the styles but then that's just more key combos for me to remember [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]. And I do the CTRL+SHIFT+S command so often and know the style list so well I can apply a style to any given paragraph in seconds. I don't see wasting my time to come up with shortcut keys when that one is already built in for me.

Of COURSE I have the 'style following paragraph' fixed up for every style. This way there's even less to think about as a user... you should have seen the looks I got once people started realizing how easy to use I made this template. [img]/w3timages/icons/starstruck.gif[/img] And once I got finished explaining what styles did... the macros just floored them... I love that... [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Whoaaa! I agree on the use of "Normal" style, but not on the use of "Normal.dot".

I keep a template of my own with a few basics therein, and copy it over Normal.dot as part of my process in loading Word97. That way NOTHING ever gets stuck in Normal.dot. No viruses, no nothing.

KTYorke

I hate the fact that the powers that be named everything normal... what the heck is "normal" anyway??!! [img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img] (certainly not anything I'M involved with!)

Anyway, I don't use Normal style because I based all the styles I created on that style and if someone were to accidently change an attribute in Normal while editing or something, it may very well have ill effects on the rest of the styles.

I don't use Normal.dot either. Every new document I create is with the template I created. (say, MYTemplate.dot) So nothing gets stuck in my normal.dot either... I never use it!

I'm not sure if you had that clear... but I may have also misunderstood you...

have fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast