2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pictures in Access (XP SP2)

G'day All.
    Has anyone heard of a third party utility (I haven't see anything in Access) where I can right click on an image in a web page, copy. Then flick over to a form in Access and paste the image into a field control, and have the image either stored in the database (messy) or save to a pre-determined folder, with the link established in the current record? Obviously I can already to it with text ...

To dream the impossible dream ...

Thanks, Regards Ken

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pictures in Access (XP SP2)

Don't store the image in the database. Save the image(s) in a directory. See Post126927. Charolette has answered your question and posted an example database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

G'day Tom - thanks for the reply

I should have been more explicit. I did search the archives and had downloaded and gone through Charlotte's database.

What I want to do is have a bound image control on the form which when displaying an existing table record show an image from a picture stored as a file in a folder. The name of the image will be the autonumber keyfield of the associated record plus extension.

Once you click the new button, you get an empty frame and can paste an image copied from IE into the frame (this part works fine although there are some stretch/zoom/clip issues I have to deal with). Then you click a save button and code saves the image into a pre-determined folder, adding the file reference to the database record.

Does this sound possible - surely someone has done this before ?

Regards Ken.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You would need to put some code behind a button on the form (Or perhaps behind the Click event of the Image Control) which

1 Pastes the clipboard to a new file in the directory named with the Record ID.

2 Renames the record source for the image control with a hardwired reference to the file. You cannot, I think, use a reference containing a variable as this will change each time the current record changes and all the records will show the picture for the current record.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

G'day David

Thanks. Do you think this is possible - I'll have a play while I'm in Singapore but at present I haven't a clue how to begin.

Regards Ken

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes! I think it is possible.

I don't know how to manipulate the clipboard from code so as to save the image other than opening an application such as paint, pasting the file image and saving it.

In view of my ignorance, I would probably opt for saving the image to a known file location and name (Say MyPicturespic.???) and having the code then copy this file to wherever. It would be important to retain the file extension. This could perhaps be done using a wildcard.

It would take a bit of reading of Help (put "file" into the index and see where that gets you!).

I don't know which of the file handling commands can cope with wildcards. So some experimenting may be needed.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia