Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Word97SR2 MRU list - where is it?

Where does one find the MRU list for Word97/SR2?

A document file is listed at the foot of my File menu, but when I choose File, 9, I get "not found", because I have moved the document since last I opened it. Word thinks it is "here" whereas it is really "there".

If I knew where "here" used to be, I might have a clue as to where I'd moved it. Unfortuneately, the MRU list in the File menu isn't wide enough to show the full path. I see something like this: "d:greaves...Mine.DOC".

I figured that if I searched the registry for "MRU" or even for "Mine.doc" I'd find it, but no such luck.

I found a folder c:windowsrecent with the document mentioned there, but I think that is not Word-specific.

I DID find a few entries that give the MRU list as being ten entries (presumably 9 entries plus a sentinel). Has anyone else thought of bumping this value up to something reasonable (like 20) to get a bigger MRU list? OK. I thought so; I'll try it after tomorrow morning's backup run.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word97SR2 MRU list - where is it?

Do a find or search on "Recent" and see what you will find. They will ALL be there for all of the different programs.
    Check out this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=17660&page=& view=&sb=&vc=1#Post17660> thread</A>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Dave, this works in Win95 (signed author edition #0001). First time I looked I saw no path names, but then I noticed they were Shortcuts. R/c and Properties showed me the full path.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your welcome

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:

Here is the information on the MRU list.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a

This subkey contains binary information for MRU lists, including the MRU file list and the MRU address book list. It also contains the same information as was stored in the Winword.opt file in Word for Windows 6.x, such as Track Changes settings (Revision settings in Word 6.x) and Edit settings.

You can find that, & information on other entries, in an article called Where Settings Are Stored in the Registry located here
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q157/4/64.ASP>here</A>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, thanks for the reply. You are a perennial source of "links to good stuff".

I noticed the key "EnableMacroVirusProtection" and realised that I can boost my DOS BATch file trick of thwarting Word macro viruses by yet another device!