Lounger
    Thanks

Is anyone there? (Access 2000)

There is one field, in one record in my database that reads "#Error" and when i simply place the mouse over it (in either the table or the form) i get the message "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." I am the only person logged onto the database (only 3 of us use it!!) and have not had this problem on any occasion when more than one person has been using it.
    How do i overcome this and see the original data???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is anyone there? (Access 2000)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this probably means that the record has become corrupted. The record is probably lost.

Try this on a copy of the database:
    (1) Tools/Database Utilities/Compact and Repair. If there are corrupt records, Access will create a CompactErrors table.
    If that doesn't work:
    (2) Use the JetCompact utility from Microsoft; you can download it from ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center. Sometimes, this utility is able to correct problems that the internal command can't handle.
    If that doesn't work either
    (3) Try to delete the record. You will have to re-create it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank HansV!!! So simple really! I did the Compact and repair database and a CompactErrors table was created (with the error code "-1611"...whatever that means!), but I can now go into the record and the field so can update to it's original state. How did this happen though and can I avoid it in future? I don't want loose more information!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if the corrupted field was a Memo field. Memo fields are prone to corruption, because the contents are stored in another part of the database than the record itself; the connection can get lost. Network errors can also lead to corruption.

Have a look at HOW TO: Keep a Jet 4.0 Database in Top Working Condition for tips from Microsoft.

Lounger
    Thanks

It is a memo field. It's the first time it's happened in 500 odd records over a year of use, so it isn't that big a problem for me. I had a look on the site you suggested, but i think it's a bit beyond my basic (no pun intended) skills!!
    Thanks for your help,
    Al.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Questions on Microsoft Jet 4.0?
    A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1

I installed A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1 on two Windows 98 and Windows 2000 computers with same install CD

After installation I checked msjet40.dll as suggested:

1 Windows 98 development computer had msjet40.dll version 4.00.4431.1 Jet 4.0 SP5

1 Windows 98 user computer had msjet40.dll version 4.00.2521.8 Prior Jet 4.0 SP3

Windows 2k user computer had msjet40.dll version 4.00.6218.0 Jet 4.0 SP6

According to Q239114 I can run JET40SP6_9xNT.exe to update Windows 98 SP5 to SP6

How do I update Windows 98 Prior Jet 4.0 SP3 to SP6?

Thanks, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello John,

The MSKB articles seem to be contradicting each other: one states
    <hr>Before you install this update (SP6 - HansV) on a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0, you must already have Jet 4.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later installed. You have at least Jet 4.0 (SP3) if the file msjet40.dll is version 4.00.2927.4 or later.<hr>
    but another states
    <hr>You should only install Jet40SP3_Comp.exe when Jet 4.0 is not already installed by your operating system, an application, or Microsoft Access Data Components (MDAC) 2.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or earlier.<hr>
    I would try to apply the SP6 update immediately, without installing intermediate updates. If I'm wrong, you'll get an error message. I that case, you can always download and install SP3; there is a link in the web page I referred to in my previous reply in this thread. Install SP6 after that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Still confused when Jet gets initially installed on a Windows computer.

Does jet get installed when windows is initially installed?

Does jet get installed/updated when Access is installed?

When I run JET40SP6_9xNT.exe does it just copy files to where they belong or do they get registered in the Registry?

If I install Jet 4.0 Service Pack 6 is there a way to get back to Jet 4.0 Service Pack 5 if I need to?

In my previous post I ended up with 3 versions of jet after same A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1 Access CD was installed on all 3 cpmputers.

Thank, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access isn't the only application that uses the Jet engine and an earlier version of Jet should not install over a later version. Why on earth would you need to revert to an earlier Jet service pack? The idea is to make sure all machines have the latest SP.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

As far as I know, some version of the Jet 4 Engine is installed by:
    - MS Office 2000/XP Professional and MS Office 2000/XP Developer Edition
    - Visual Studio 6 products (Visual Basic 6 etc.)
    - Windows 2000

and there might be more.

Again, AFAIK there is no reason why you should want to downgrade from SP6 to SP5.

But I'm not an expert in this. I hope someone else will have more/better info.