3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Macro activating workbooks (Excel 2000)

Hi,

I have a funny issue when activating worksheets in a macro. I have created a macro which activates many different open workbooks but on some Users PC I get an error (sub script error) if I do not have .xls at the and of the workbook name, the same macro without .xls works fine on other PC's, all PC's are using Excel 2000.

Anybody seen this before.

Regards

Mike

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Excel Macro activating workbooks (Excel 2000)

I bumped into this about a month ago. As it's only me and one other person, I didn't bother tracking it down. My hunch at the time was that it was something to do with the "windows explorer/tools/folder options/view/hide file extensions for known file types" setting. However, I've just checked this out and it doesn't appear to be. I've also flicked through all the tools/options settings in excel and can't see anything that jumps out at me. I'll try and have another look tomorrow when I've got both machines in front of me unless someone else jumps in first.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I just tested it. My setup requires the xls. As soon as I open explorer and tell it to hide known file extensions (Highly *NOT* recommended <g>) and restart Excel, it accepts the name without .xls.
    Xl2000, Win98
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Hmm. So now my machine will open files without the extension in the code - either with or without file extensions displayed in explorer! I was trying to work out what actually causes the filename to be recorded without the extension but couldn't. Back to the drawing board!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jan,

In the short term I have put .xls on the file name, I will not go down the changes to Explorer.

Regards

Mike