Lounger
    Thanks

"Database placed in a state by a user..."

Anyone come across this one (it's an acknowledged Access 2000 bug -- see MSKB Q248967)?

You have a form open in your database which contains a control which references a subform control. When another user tries to open the database they get the message 'The database has been placed in a state by user 'username' on machine 'machinename' that prevents it from being opened or locked.'

MS say the solution is to obtain Office 2000 SR1/SR-1A. But my clients are not willing to do that at present for other reasons. Anyone know if there's any way of obtaining just the Access fix or patch without the rest of SR1??

The workaround is to run a 'dummy' instance of the database with no form open and to ensure that this is opened before any user logs on. Possible, but clumsy.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: "Database placed in a state by a user..."

The update is free (except possibly for shipping, unless you download it) and it fixes a bunch of problems, not just that one. If you want to put the patch on Access, you still have to download the whole SR-1a to get it. Encourage your clients not to shoot themselves in the foot!
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Charlotte. But it's not so simple. The client is a UK local authority with a number of sites and in general their installations are Office 97 and their corporate IT isn't supporting 2000 yet. They've installed Access 2000 on a small number of workstations. I don't know if you can apply Office 2000 SR1 on a particular workstation which has just Access 2000 but Office 97 everything else?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're supposed to be able to do so, although it still takes the whole SR-1a download. I haven't tried it, so I'd suggest caution and reading the fine print first.
    Charlotte