Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple instances of app's from Explorer

When opening a file via windows explorer when the application is already running, how do you back the file open in the running app instead of opening another instance of the app?
    The situation has arisen with a user who installed OpenOffice to have a looksee and subsequently removed it. OpenOffice had set it self to the default application for office type files (.doc, .xls etc). We have changed the file associations back to Office 97, but now get a new instance of word or excel etc when opening a file from Win Explorer.
    Prior to the OpenOffice installation files opened in the current running instance of the app. I am assuming therefore it will be a switch or setting in the file association but don't know where.
    Any ideas?

Many thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple instances of app's from Explorer

Hi Andrew:
    Check under Start/Settings/Folder Options.../File Types tab/Microsoft Word Document/Edit/Open/Edit & see if it looks like the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple instances of app's from Explorer

Hi Phil,
    I had duplicated these settings from another machine. However no files would open at all when I did.
    I solved the problem in the end over the w/e by doing a repair/re-install of Office. Could have done that in the first place I suppose but wanted to try and find out a bit about what was controlling it.