2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installation Files Copied on Hard Drive (XP Home)

Hello helpers,
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question which has arisen from the answer Sony sent me about the Product Key issue (posted their reply in the thread). They also said"As for repairing Windows XP, all the installation files are copied on your hard drive.
    You can find them in the c:windowsi386 folder." Is it normal to have all these files copied to Hard Drive? I checked and they are taking up more than 500Mb. No wonder the OS is using so much space.I am thinking that if everyone had this copy on Hard Disk they would not need a CD to repair from.Sony added this information because I said to them that I did not have an XPdisk, only an OEM disk which does not allow for repairing XP, only to totally reinstall it. Please give me your comments about this. Thank you.
    Elaine

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Installation Files Copied on Hard Drive (XP Home)

I have been copying the "Install files" to the hard drive, since Windows 95. Unless you are hurting for disk space I would NOT even think about deleting them. You would NOT believe how many times the CD will be needed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It is a good practice to keep i386 folder on the hard drive in NT/2000/XP systems. If you partition your hard drive, it is better to copy it to the logical drive (say, D:i386). Because "clean" installation of WinXP takes about 1.5 GB of your hard drive, and installation with Microsoft Office and couple more things usually takes 4 to 6 GB, additional 0.5 GB does not make a big difference.

Since you don't have installation CD, consider following:

1. Always create a restore point before make any changes in your installation (install/uninstall a program, upgrade and update, and make Registry changes). To do so, go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System restore and choose "Create a restore point".
    2. Create a full backup (or even better, full image with a program like Symantec Ghost) of your system and update it after every change.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for replies.
    Honestly, I did not intend to delete those files. I have a lot to learn, but I read this Forum regularly and know not to do things like that!. I just wondered if I could have put the files on a CD first, and then recovered the disk space.Can you explain to me why it would be better to keep a copy on the hard dive rather than having the files on a CD? My hard drive is partitioned, with all Windows and program files on C. The D drive has Much more space.Are you suggesting that I copy the files to D? I always create restore points in all the instances you have mentioned as I know how important System Restore can be, and I make regular backups as well. Thanks again
    Elaine

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I suggest to copy i386 folder to drive D: exactly because it has much more space. This folder is not needed for usual operations, but for configuration changes only. If you can see this folder on your Restore CD, you already have it on CD.
    Purpose to copy it to the hard drive is to avoid prompting to insert installation CD each time Windows require it. After you copy this folder to the hard drive, click Start | Run, type: REGEDIT and hit Enter. On the left pane of Registry Editor, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionSetup
    On the right pane, right-click the key (icon) SourcePath and from pop-up menu choose Modify. In the Value Data box type
    D:i386 (or wherever you copied this folder) and click OK. Windows will not prompt you for installation CD again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello kaplinb,
    Thanks very much. I appreciate the explanation. It is exactly what I wanted to know.I like to find out the "hows" and "whys" about things and then it is easier to understand and helps me to learn too.I will follow your advice as you have explained well. Thanks again.
    Elaine.

Thanks

Re: Installation Files Copied on Hard Drive (XP Ho

Exactly what I was looking for! Just to be clear, I copy the i386 folder to disk and modify the registry (as described) to point to it. Right?

What about the other folders on the XP CD? Is there any benefit by copying them to disk? Can I copy the whole CD to a folder and modify the registry to point to D:MyFolderi386?

What about SP1? Can this be "merged" into this folder?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    PaulB