Thanks

Saving Color Organizing (MSO 2000 SR-1a)

I have several times (due to beta testing etc.) needed to re-install Outlook...
    When I do, I save and then re-use the same PST file, and then download my settings using MS's 'Save My Settings'...

It seems that color organizng rules I have set do not save or restore though, so I need to re-establish all the params of same.

How can I save these definitions so that I don't have to re-set them every time? Is it to a specific file, or are they part of the PST? And if they are part of the PST, why aren't they 'holding' if I re-use the same PST file?

Also, when I set these rules, they seem to only apply for the specific folder I have set them in, so, for instance, if I set a certain address to show in red, and I do so from the Inbox, applying this rule will only "colorize" that mail that is present in the Inbox -- not mail in other folders as well.

Am I doing this wrong, not understanding, or what?
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving Color Organizing (MSO 2000 SR-1a)

Are you saving your coloured views as a specific View - View|Define Views? Once that is done, then the View should be replicatable across all mail files. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

I have seen that color settings seem folder specific. Are they in fact view specific also, and therefore must be saved as part of a view? So that when I restore my settings using MS's Save My Settings, I then also have to go and restore a particular view? Cannot these be set as the "defaults" for the pre-defined views like 'Messages'?

Will this work as saving the standard messages view after setting all color definitions?
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Set up a custom view. Apply coloured filters to it. That view should be available in other mail folders. If you copy a folder with this view to another *.pst file, you should find that the coloured filters travel.

In other words, try thinking of the colours following the views, rather than the other way around.

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

I'm understanding the "following" part of the equation... but I'm having difficulty with the View to be used. In other words, I want to save the color defs to/with the standard "Messages" view. But it seems that I have to set up a special view to accomplish this.

That's OK, but then how do I set the newly created view as the default view, instead of having to select it every time?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is Save My Settings capturing the .rwz file. If it's a rules problem, your "local" rules are in that file. I can't tell you where the file will be because that varies with OS/OL levels; you'll have to do a find.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

View|Current View|Define Views - copy the current view and give it a name. This named view should then be available in all your mail folders. It should be exactly the same as the "Current View" when you saved it. HTH
    Gre