2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Long file names and explorer

This problem may have been discussed here before. I did a search and couldn't find anything. So, I have to ask. (We operate Access 97 on Windows 95.)

Has anyone had this problem?

What I have done is had our IT staff push a shortcut to our user's desktops that is intended to open an Access database. When a user runs it, it errors and says the path name doesn't exist. Also, when the user tries to open the same Access database from Explorer, it gives you the same error. But, if they open the same database from within Access, it opens just fine.

I think the problem is with long file names. But, there should be a way to overcome a name problem that doesn't require all database names to be 8 characters or less.

TIA.

Thanks

Re: Long file names and explorer

Hi Lonnie,
    Have a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=off&Number=12293&page=3&vie w=expanded&sb=5#Post12293>this thread</A> - it's about Word but the principle may well apply to your situation.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Rory. I should have mentioned in the post that I had read the Word post you link to. On my machine, I don't have the problem. The problem is with our users' machines.

I looked at the file associations on the other machines and they appear to match mine. It says:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMsaccess.exe" /nostartup "%1"

The DDE checkbox is not checked. I checked it and copied the same info under the DDE in Word, except I changed Winword to msaccess, and got an error that the application could not be found.

At the end of the Word thread, it mentions re-registering Word using Winword /r. Is there one for Access? We tried MSACCESS /r and it didn't do anything, that we could tell.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 95 did not necessarily support long file names by default in all instances.

You have two options: figure out how to set it on for those machines that are having the problem; or change your shortcut to use the 8.3 specification like this:

"C:Progra~1Micros~1OfficeMsaccess.exe" /nostartup "%1"
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, thanks very much.

I understand your second recommendation. Not sure about how to do your first, but don't worry about it.

We are able to get it to work by just changing the file name to 8.3 format. The folder names work OK as long folder names. Go figure.

One additional question when you have time. What does the /nostartup switch mean?

Again, thanks.

The following is an edit to this post:

To confirm your Windows 95 statement, we didn't have this problem with users that have Windows 98 on their machines.