Star Lounger
    Thanks

Terminal Services & Remote Printers

Hi folks,
    I don't know if there's anyone on the board with experience running Terminal Services, but I've run into a confounding situation. I am running TS on a Win2K member server (in an NT 4 domain) behind a VPN. When I connect as administrator from my home office, my local printer automatically shows up in the list of available printers (as I assume it should). When my client connects from a remote office, their local printer seems to come and go between sessions.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or are there any resources available on Terminal Services that I could review?
    Thanks for your help.

Charlie T.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Terminal Services & Remote Printers

I run TermServ and Citrix here. I have also used the printer redirection features with success. I've not seen the problem you are reporting but found some interesting info with Google. Q294429 explains the steps taking to initiate a printer redirection. After a cursory reading, it seems that if the driver on the server is corrupted in any way things could get flakey. So step one should be reinstalling the drivers on the server, and perhaps the client.

Winmag has an article indicating that SP1 includes an update to the RDP protocol to ver.5. Perhaps this newer version isn't installed?

Are there any errors in the Event Viewer?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, I found Claudio Rodrigues's article on printer redirection, which I am trying to implement. I can't seem to get the NET USE statement to actually work. Could you (or someone) please help me?

This is what I've been trying:

NET USE LPT1: HopewellMainHP Laserjet 3300 /Persistent:YES

It's not accepting the syntax. The server name has no spaces; I've tried quotation marks, no quotation marks, and anything else I could think of for the printer name. The printer share name is identical to the printer name on the server.

Thank you sincerely.

Charlie T.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have a printer here with a space in the share name, but I suspect the problem you are having is a result of that. The name of the printer does not have to match. The driver name does. I would try renaming the printer share to something without spaces (or duplicating the printer with a space-less share name) and trying again. You have the syntax correct except for the spaces. Placing of quotes is a frequent hangup. I have taken the wimp's way out by just not including spaces in object names. Here the quotes probably belong around the share path: ie "HopewellMainHP Laserjet 3300".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, it was a quotation marks thing. Once I fixed that, I got it to work.

Thanks for the reply.

CT