Super Moderator
    Thanks

Security File Growing (Access 2000)

A few weeks ago a visited a client to be told that they couldn't get into the db that day. I can't remember the error message, but there was a problem with the security file (.mdw). Inoticed that it had grown to 3.5 MB even though there are only about 6 users. I replaced the file and all was OK.
    Today they have told me that the file has now grown to 2MB again, and so they (and I) are worried that it will happen again.
    Why might the security file grow like this? Can I do anything to stop it growing? Other than backing it up is there anything else I should be doing?
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Security File Growing (Access 2000)

That does seem a bit strange. We have a system.mdw with about 75 users and 30 groups that only runs about 300K. On the other hand we always download the security file to the local workstation, as if you don't, it can corrupt and then noone can get in until it is repaired. We had that problem frequently until we went to the local workstation with it, so that at most only one person is using a given copy of the file.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for that suggestion.
    I find it surprising that you might need to put the security file on the local machine. It means that everytime you add/remove a user you really need to recopy the file to the workstations.
    I suppose if most users always work on their own machine it doesn't matter if their security file is out of date- all it has to do is let that user in.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That was our initial reaction too, but after several months of occasional corruptions of the .mdw file, and having to get 60 or 70 people out of all databases, we said enough is enough. Actually what we did is download the security file each time a user rebooted their PC. We've since developed a much more sophisticated process that downloads not only the security file but any database components that have changed since the last time the database was run. For your situation with 6 users, you aren't as likely to encounter corruption problems. It is possible to compact and repair a .mdw file, though you need to use a special database pointing to another security file, or use the compact and repair utility. You might want to do that on a periodic basis to minimize corruption problems.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I find this pretty disturbing. I have lots of databases out there using a single security file.
    One of them, quite a new project, is giving me this problem. I will go back to them and give each user a copy of the security file, and see what happens.
    But what about all the others. None have ever had this problem, so I will leave them alone for now.

>> It is possible to compact and repair a .mdw file, though you need to use a special database pointing to another
    security file, or use the compact and repair utility.
    How do you compact and repair an .mdw file.
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I also have problem with shared workgroup files on network gradually getting bloated, start out at appx 136 KB, growing to 1 MB or more. What I do is periodically compact & repair .MDW file when no one is logged on - since I am on site this is not an issue. After making sure compacted file works OK replace the old one. You compact & repair .MDW file same way you compact & repair any other .MDB file, either using menu command to compact into another file, or open .MDW directly then compact & repair. Obviously you cannot be logged into the same workgroup file that you are compacting. And ALWAYS make a backup before trying anything like this with .MDW (you should always have one or more backup anyway) - once when I compacted .MDW the file became hopelessly corrupted & could not log in using that file. But this only happened one time, otherwise have had no problems compacting .MDW files. I think distributing workgroup file to individual PC's rather than sharing one file on network is good idea & I will implement that approach in future.