Star Lounger
    Thanks

Record + general security (2000/SR-1)

Before I get too deep into construction of a database solution, I need to understand how to address security of the data in two cases: 1) for a user in a stand-alone situation where that user might have access to and use the database on a laptop; 2) for a business situation where multiple users have access to the same database but can only access the records that belong to them.

I would like the single user solution to require a password (no ID necessary or desired) for simple data protection and the multi-user solution to provide access to a licensed number of IDs. The number of licenses should be upgradable and a licensed user should be allowed to select the ID and passwords of her choice. I want there to be no need for a local administrator other than to install the software. If I can avoid it, I do not want someone to have to administer the security of the database. The licenses should require renewal, and lock out any accounts not paid for after a specific period.

First, is the MS Access security solution able to provide the flexibility for both these scenarios? I don't think so, but it's worth asking the question. If not, then what are my options? If anyone has already addressed these issues, could you please share your insight?

Thanks
    Will

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Record + general security (2000/SR-1)

Your presumption about Access security is correct - it won't do what you want out of the box, though the security model can be manipulated through code. But it has no provision for licensing, and it does require that you identify the user, and any group memberships other than the default. It also will not restrict access based on the ownership of a subset of records, so you would need to add that capability. The single user situation could be handled with a simple database password, though it isn't terribly secure as you can readily obtain password hacking tools. I don't know of any Access package that even attempts to address this issue, though some of the installer packages that commercial software packages use may have that capability. Charlotte in particular has considerable experience in this area.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, after some work, I think I'm on the right track.

One thing I can't seem to find is a way to determine if the multiuser security model has been enabled or not or not. I need to know if if this is a default single user environment or if user-level security has been configured. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually, the security model is always enabled - but until you give the Admin user a password, you don't get a password prompt. Once you give Admin a password you will get the login prompt, but you will also need to either point each user to a common system.mdw file or copy it to their local hard drive.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And for the sake of everyone's sanity, give the mdw a different name instead of system.mdw so you can tell them apart and don't accidentally overwrite one or the other.
    Charlotte