Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Field Codes Patch (Word97)

It is me, right? I am just too stupid to figure this out, right? Microsoft has the patch sitting in front of my eyes, but I don't see it. Isn't that correct?

It appears as if MS is going to repair the Word97 Field Codes bug. They say they already have and they have a patch. But how does one get the patch?

If one starts with the Security Bulletin, one is told:

Customers using Word or Excel should apply the patches.
    Affected Software: ... Microsoft Word 97 ...

One is also told:

Patch availability
    Download locations for this patch ...
    Word 97/Word 98(J):
    Information on receiving Word 97 & Word 98(J) support is available at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q330080 ...

OK, lets go to that page. This page tells us:

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft...
    Before you install the Word 97 Update, install the Microsoft Word 97 Service Release 2b (SR-2b)...
    The English version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table...
    After you install the Word Update, you cannot remove it. The Word Update changes the default behavior of some Word fields...

And a few other bits of information. Only one thing is missing -- the FILE to DOWNLOAD!!

OK, OK -- maybe they stuck it an the main MSKB article. It must be in that, right?? Let's look there. Well they mention a fix:

RESOLUTION ...
    Word 97 and the Japanese version of Word 98 for Windows...

But that leads us to:

Word 97 and the Japanese version of Word 98 for Windows
    If you use Word 97 or the Japanese version of Word 98 for Windows, apply the Word 97 and the Japanese version of Word 98 for Windows patch. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q330080 WD97: Word 97 Is Vulnerable to Security Issues That Are Documented in Word 2002 Update: October 16, 2002

Which is the article above. So we have a circular linking system -- and NONE of them seem to be offering the patch.

Can anyone tell me how I am screwing up here? Where is the link to download the patch?????? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Field Codes Patch (Word97)

Microsoft states in Q330080, a few lines down from "A supported fix is now available from Microsoft":
    <hr>To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PPS) to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers ...<hr>
    Apparently, for Word 97/98, the fix is not available as a download - you have to call Microsoft.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Argghhh!! Did you ever try doing that? Is this one of those "Press 1 to hold for 30 minutes, Press 2 to continue pressing more buttons..." kinda thing??

Lounger
    Thanks

You can download the October 16 file directly, even if Microsoft don't want you to. WOW #7.52 might have hinted at it, so perhaps everyone knows this already, but...

Go to ftp://ftppss.microsoft.com/Outgoing/Office/ and you can right-click on the "Q330080.exe" file and select "Copy to folder...", saving it to your hard drive.

Now all I have to do is see what macros don't work anymore...!

JustCallMeAl

Does anyone know yet if this patch can be uninstalled?