4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Read Mac Floppies on WinME

I have some old Mac floppies that I would like to transfer to a Windows ME machine. I just need to do this one time so I don't need an expensive do-it-all package. Does anyone know of a cheap (or free) utility that'll let me make these transfers.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Read Mac Floppies on WinME

I suspect the easiest way would be to use a Mac to transfer them to PC format floppies.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't say what kind of files you're talking about, but here's one (albeit not free) solution. For $30 you can buy this USB cable. Do both machines have USB capability? Otherwise, I know there's software out there somewhere. Maybe someone else will chime in.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Looky u ere>>>

And yer also

(Don't ay WinME thou, but I'd assume it would or could or maybe ok)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ronny,

If your Mac files are from Office applications - Word, Excel etc. your PC may be able to read the files as is. Stick the floppy in your PC drive and see if Windows recognises the files. They (probably) are missing the extension that DOS/Windows use to describe the file - .doc for Word document, .xls for Excel spreadsheet etc. The file won't open properly unless you edit the file name to include the correct extension. Once you do this the files should then open without any problem.

If the files are not from an application that exists on both the Mac and Windows then you have a bit more of a challenge. You will have to open the files using a Mac and export to a format that an equivalent program can import.

All of this assumes you have access to a Mac ... If you don't - let me know the application used to create the file and I'll do some digging on 'the light side' to see what can be done.