New Lounger
    Thanks

Links Between Largish Documents

I am working with a client who is documenting procedures for a set of components in Word 97, latest service release.

He has a list of basic procedures in 1 document, then the procedures for the component set in a separate document.

Some of the basic procedures need to be referenced for each of the components in the component set document. If changes are made to the basic procedures doc - the component set doc must also be updated.

The basic procedures doc is about 250k & the component set procedures doc is about 500k. Both are expected to grow considerably - at least double in size. I believe graphics are included in both documents.

He's currently using a combination of hyperlinks and paste links - the doc takes quite a while to open & save - occasionally giving Disk Full errors.

Any thoughts on how to link the documents in a more elegant/less resource-consuming way? I've dabbled with INSERTEXT fields, but don't know if that is a "better" method or not.

Thanks!
    Tracey Morris

Thanks

Re: Links Between Largish Documents

Try Insert=>File with bookmarks. Insert as an active link that updates in one direction only. You'll need to know the names of the bookmarks. The bookmark is chosen before you do the insert or you can change the {INCLUDETEXT} field.

{ INCLUDETEXT "fullFileName" "bookmark" !}

The ! switch tells this field no not update fields that are included in the text.

Changes made to the source document will be reflected in the other document if fields are updated upon opening. You could use the following macro in the template to do that:

Sub AutoOpen()
    '
    ' AutoOpen Macro
    ' Macro recorded 03/01/2001 by Charles Kyle Kenyon
    '
    Selection.WholeStory
    Selection.Fields.Update
    End Sub
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tracey:

You might also check to make sure that under Tools/Options/Save, that FastSaves is unticked. Also, make sure the journal option is turned off in Outlook. Those can contribute to slowness in opening & saving.

kzytv4

Phil -
    Forgot to mention we'd already checked for Fast Saves & Outlook is not installed on the system.

Charles - Do you think the IncludeText field would result in less "overhead" than Paste Linking? That's our main concern at the moment. Will the Auto_Open macro macro help with the updating links as well?

I saw if you have Field Codes displayed you can copy & paste the field and then change the Bookmark reference -- is there an easier way than that to set up all the links to the source doc?

How about generating a list of bookmarks in the source document - I assume a macro could do that fairly easily...

Thanks for your help!

Tracey Morris