3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

bar code label and Access (Access 2000)

I would like to know if Access 2000/2002 can generate bar codes or I have to use a bar code software to do so.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: bar code label and Access (Access 2000)

Thanks Jerry,

Would you mind telling me how and where would I be able to get/buy those fonts?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It depends on how sophisticated you want to get with your barcodes. As Jerry pointed out, you can find free barcode fonts on the internet. I've used the 3-of-9 font very succesfully; but I haven't had much luck with the 2-of-5, though. There are a couple of drawbacks, however. For one, you have to correctly format the string being displayed by the font; this means knowing what the beginning/ending characters are etc. For another, you are pretty much restricted to modify the font size, but you don't really have control over height or width.

You can also purchase ActiveX controls that provide considerably more control. With these controls, you just provide it with the number or string you want to present as a barcode, and it correctly formats it. You can often change the barcode orientation (that is, rotate it), and separately adjust height and width. The further away your reader is from the barcode, the more important this becomes (especially height adjustment).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a freeware Code 39 (one of the most common, it doesn't require a checksum).

http://www.bizfonts.com/free/ <font color=blue>Edited by WendellB to activate link 19-Oct-02 22:02 MDT</font color=blue>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Barcodes are nothing but a type of font. All you need do is get the correct type (UPC, Code 39 (aka 3 of 9), EAN, Code 128, etc.) for your particular barcode application. Since you will be using it as a font it is important to know the "rules" for your particular barcode schema. Some schemas allow only numeric values and can only be a specific length, others are very flexible allowing alphanumeric characters but they expect them in either a specific order or expect codes embedded within the barcode as field separators (EAN 128 for example). The most common and versatile barcode type is Code 39 (3 of 9) or Code 39 extended. This code allows alphanumeric characters and can be any practical length (limited only by the scan width of your scanner). Depending on the font you can also display a human readable portion with the barcode.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi.
    I found this link to be quite useful and it worked ok.
    I adjusted to size 48.
    http://www.squaregear.net/fonts/
    Regards
    Dave