Lounger
    Thanks

Major Hard Drive partIII

The saga continues. In part II I was prepared to do one more reformat and start over. I tried one thing first which was to uninstall the balky printer software using the uninstall file directly from the CD (as I had no visible driver on the CPU. There should have been nothing left there to begin with.) What do you know. I was then able to reinstall the printer software and it works with the new 2.0 ports I installed! At the same time AOL was able to detect my Modem and I am once again on-line, although AOL wants to look for the modem each time - a problem I was having before the Hard Drive failure. A remaining glitch is that my Quicken still doesn't want to run although it appeared to load, and also my Virus program seems to have loaded but without the Personal Firewall as I'm using Norton Internet Security Family Edition. When I tried to get the Firewall to open it crashed with a frozen distorted screen. Oddly, I did a cold shutdown in frustration and this morning it booted up without requiring a Scandisk! My TV tuner/capture program is opening but will not display live TV but only take blind snapshots and oddly record video fine but without sound. A error message about a problem with Direct Draw not being able to overlay or something. I noted in the DirectX Diagnostic tool that my Direct Draw acceleration is not enabled - only by software rendering. Computer so far will not let me update DirectX to 6 which should enable the hardware acceleration. What a mess huh! I know everybody's screaming screw it and wipe the motha and it's getting closer. Over E-mails have suggested that perhaps I do have a power issue and I am considering replacing the power supply and maybe putting in another fan before reformat again since I do have it partially working it's not as aggravating. I do have 2 extra cards in the machine and maybe excess heat is causing these seemingly random glitches. One last thing - I noticed that checking the D partition which is still there, remember I have C,D,E, partitions and F is the CD burner/CD drive that Norton was in the D partition and I don't remember installing it to D. The same with Quicken. I know the original plan was to install the ops system to C, applications to D and Data to E but I don't remember putting Norton there. I might have put the Quicken there the first time as the last reformat only reformatted C.I know. Too many issues for one stupid machine or one inept operator. Still, comments appreciated. The game is afoot!

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Major Hard Drive partIII

Still have not solved all the problems but the computer has been doing most of the things I need so I decided to give it a rest. My final solution is to change the hard drive once more and maybe add a cooling fan. For a while some applications were'nt loading and others not running. It was not letting me install an up to date version of DirectX like 6 to 8. That was a problem. I have still noticed that when I install some programs the "unistall file" doesn't load and it tells me that. Like ha-ha, fooled you again! Fortunately I have Clean Sweep installed. My five core programs are working and I'm on the net without problems so there you are. The "ghost" is still there and I'll drop another thread when I decide to start over again.