4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble installing Partition Magic 8 (Win XP Pro)

I had PM7; uninstalled it; add/remove wouldn't but the install had option.It's no longer on the Add/Remove list; could have reg scraps--searched there saw none. Trying to install PM8. Won't go. Two errors: Error #1: 1311. Source file not found. H:EnglishSetupDocQuick.cab Verify that the file exists and you can access it. Search found a zip .pdf file- opened/dlded and was only the short manual for the app. Error #2: Fatal error during installation. Consult the Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm or MSDN). Searched PowerQuest KB/Error list--no matches, closest said run Chkdsk/F. This did nothing. Uses the Install Shield installer so went to Install Shild's site--no "repairs." Installer has always worked and tested it with other downloads X 5--no problems. Downloaded trial of their express installer--no help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trouble installing Partition Magic 8 (Win XP Pro)

Did you try to install from Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Programs icon | CD or Floppy button ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Kaplinb--but I'll try and report back. I haven't noticed a big difference. When I installed PM 7 I just put in the CD and it rolled. I have wrestled with the install with Tech Support from both Power Quest and Install Shield and we are still working with it--they had me get two downloads from Install Shield and now the ususal suspects are showing up--reminds me of a Norton KB--reg hacks, plug ins, and more endless reg hacks from Power Quest. They sent me a new CD thinking mine could be damaged--didn't help. When tech support is reduced to replacing the CD as a Hail Mary, I know I'm in for a bumpy time getting it in. If and when we fix it I'll summarize steps. I'm getting Power Quest Error Message numbers that aren't on their list which always makes for adventure.

Thanks for trying to help,

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb-

Thanks that didn't help. After 8 days and 4 calls, I finally got Powerquest to admit that Partition Magic 8 has a known install issue and they have had the same issue with PM7. I didn't have any problems with PM7, and Microsoft uses Install Shield in Partnership with the Windows installer for a very high percent of installs. Apparently it's not a well-known issue with a number of their tech support people.

So I had two choices. I could run it from the boot discs, and the mouse often doesn't work well on a boot disc interface--pages load slowly or not at all and a mouse can move erratically and it does there; you don't have the wizards (no big deal) but you also don't have all the features and files.

Or to simply leap frog the Install Shield install, and just copy the files from the disk to my hard drive which only took a minute and takes no more space--actually even less because I didn't bother with the files in other languages. And it works fine. It has 8 New Features Partition Magic 8.

Thanks for trying to help.

defrag