Thanks

Underlining (O2KSR1a)

This may sound pretty basic, but I can't figure out how to do it. Can I have, say, a "Heading 1" with one or two words on a line, left justified, underlined all the way to the end of the line? I've tried drawing a line, I've tried borders. Underlining best meets my needs, but I can't get the underline to do the complete line. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Underlining (O2KSR1a)

You can do this by putting in a bottom border to the paragraph.

It sounds like you are using styles, so just add a bottom border to the style.

Edit by John immediately

I just noticed that you said you tried borders. What don't you like about this solution?
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

Paul asked,
    "Can I have, say, a "Heading 1" with one or two words on a line, left justified, underlined all the way to the end of the line? I've tried drawing a line, I've tried borders. Underlining best meets my needs, but I can't get the underline to do the complete line. Is there a way to do this?"

You can do this with a border, and you have quite a bit of control over the thickness of the line and how far it is below the line. Just make sure you specify the border under the paragraph and not the selected text, if you have that choice. (Under the para is the default.)

To use an underline, I'm fairly sure you can use the following technique, but I can't test it to verify it right now. Define a right-aligned tab stop at the right margin of your page. Don't have any "leader" on the tab. Then after you type the words for the heading, press the Tab key. Define the style for the Heading 1 as underlined, and if there is anywhere to say that the underline should go under spaces as well as text, make sure you choose that.

Regards, Jean
    Jean Hollis Weber
    jean@jeanweber.com
    The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
    Avalook at Australia Travel site http://www.avalook.com.au/
    -----------------
    Taming Microsoft Word 2000, 110 pages of tips and tricks for business and technical documents. http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tamewd2k.htm

Thanks

Thanks, John. I've already tried that. While it does produce an underline under the whole line, it's not the effect I want. A true underline is much closer to the text than the bottom border. In fact you can place an underline between the text and the bottom border.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Jean, I've got to hit the sack right now, but I'll try out your solution tomorrow. It looks promising.

Thanks,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Paul:
    In addition to the ways mentioned already, you can use the Drawing toolbar to draw a line. Using Ctrl+Arrow buttons, you can move the line wherever you want & you can also adjust the thickness of the line.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When you place an underline border you can specify the distance from the text.Tthe default is 1 pt, but if you reduce this to 0 it looks about the same as text underlining.
    When in Borders and Shading, click the options buttons.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree it is very slightly different, but not enough that would ever worry me. Another work around is to then lower the text by 1 pt. That certainly makes the underling look the same. Given that it is not unusual to put some "space-before " with headings this probably won't look out of place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Thanks

Other issues have kept me away from this forum and I won't be able to try out the great ideas that have been suggested for a few days yet. I am puzzled by the attachment provided by John Hutchison. John, in the underlining example, how did you extend the underline past the word underlining?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Paul
    I used the suggestion that Jean made earlier in this thread. Put in a tab stop at the right margin, then one tab keystroke after the last word, in my case underling
    Regards
    John

Thanks

Thanks for all the great answers. In the end, the solution suggested by Jean Weber proved the easiest to implement and produced the desired result.

Thanks all,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John:
    I took a look at that earlier, but found that even if you set the distance to 0, it was still lower than regular underlining. Did you get a different result?