CChambers

Month Calculation

I have an input sheet which a user puts in a starting year. On 10 consective spreadsheets, I have the monthly columns shown for each consecutive year. I have a tenant whose rent starts at a particular month/year. I want my formula to read what month/year in in the spreadsheet and record the rent if accurate. I am having a problem with the monthly calculations.

Example:
    10 years, starting at 2001 through 2001
    Tenant A moves in during June of 2002

I may not be clear in what I'm asking for. If anyone needs to see a sample and can help, please let me know.

thanks
    christine

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Month Calculation

Christine,

As it's not clear exactly what your problem is (at least to me) maybe you could upload a sample and we can take it from there.

regards,

Andrew C

CChambers

Thanks. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

CChambers

So, in reference to my specific sample, I want the formula to look at the fact that it is Jan 2001. Because Sungard's lease began in 1998, I want it to calculate the monthly rent and record it in the Jan 2001 column.

CChambers

Ok. I've clarified exactly what I need. On the attachment, in YR1, it shows JAN-01 which is pulled from an input sheet. I want the formula in the next column to calc the next month, and so on.

Then, I've written a formula in JAN-01 column which says if the lease start date is greater than, equal to the month of the column...Then calculate the rent for the month.

The part I am not getting is the monthly calculation for each column header.

thanks
    christine

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If your starting date is in A1, then the following formla will calculate the first of the next month:

<pre>=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1)
    </pre>

That formula can be copied across as many columns as you need. The date in A1 must be entered as a date, not a text string JAN-01. You can then format the cells to get it displayed as Jan-01.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Christine,

I have inserted a formula in cell E10 of sheet YR 1 which calculates the rate due if the lease commenced before the month in question.

I did the change the month headings to contain the actual date rather JAN for January. I set the date to the first of the month, but you can change that. It is formatted to show just JAN. I did this so that I could have a date to compare with lease start date. If the lease had not started before Jan then 0 is entered.

I hope you can follow and apply it to the rest of your spreadsheet, (always assuming I have got it right !!! - hope I did understand the problem)

Good Luck

Andrew
    P.S. I did this before I spotted you posted a second sheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files