New Lounger
    Thanks

Help with large Publisher files (Publisher 2000)

I am new to Publisher. I have read the on-line help sections and the thread here about large file types with no luck. In my case a newsletter that, when adding pictures (jpegs, I thought) it grows from several hundred KB to a whooping several MEGS. I know the reponse was that that's how it is, with a solution in Publisher 2002. Short of getting 2002, does everyone else accept large file sizes? The Pack-and-go feature is worthless (also WinZip) as the compression ratio is minimal. Short of saving to a Zip drive or a series of floppies, is there no other option? I have need to work on several different computers, so saving to disk and working from a different computer is important to me. Thanks for any help or comments.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help with large Publisher files (Publisher 2000)

Hi,

Large files when pictures are added is an issue Publisher has had for many versions. I would recommend at taking a look at how big the file sizes are of the jpegs you are putting in for starters. If they are in colour - do they need to be? If the doc is only going to be printed on a B&W printers, then convert them to greyscale (using another graphic program, such as Paint Shop Pro) and then resave them. If they are photos, you may want to try and reduce the amount of colours in them (the more colours then larger the file). The downside to reducing colours used in photos is a reduced clarity of the picture. Other than that, I can only suggest getting a CD burner to copy the Publisher document for transfer or try producing your newsletter in Word - both have the same features, just a little trickier in Word.

Cheers

Beck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help with large Publisher files (Publisher 2000)

Here is some food for thought. Why do you have to use the original .PUB file anyway? You have the option of creating a html file and it will cut down on your size significantly! I have battled many times with publisher 2000 and 2002. If I can help in any way let me know, I know how frustrating it is. YOu can send me a copy of your news letter and I will give you directions on how to convert it. Have a good day and we will all keep fighting the long hard battle. Oh by the way 2002 is not a joy either, I thought 2000 had some really nice features that Microsoft changed and messed up in 2002.