New Lounger
    Thanks

Delete Query (97 & 2000)

Trying to create a delete query, using two tables. Table 1 - contains only phone numbers, Table 2, contains Name, Address and Phone Number. I do a Join, with only equal records. When I run the query, I get a Recordset is not updateable. How can I delete these records.

tnks
    glenn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delete Query (97 & 2000)

OK, are you using Access 97 or 2000? In 2000, you'll need to set the UniqueRecords property of the query to Yes or add the DISTINCTROW keyword in the SQL to make it updateable. In A97, that was the default.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

UniqueRecords was true by default in Access 95 and earlier versions, but not in Access 97 - see ACC97: Changes with DISTINCTROW in Microsoft Access 97.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I had same problem in a current project - could not delete records using joined tables in delete query - I tried all sorts of approaches but did not think of using a subquery to select records for deletion. Your solution worked in excellent fashion. Thanx!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by HansV on 23-Oct-02 13:07. Corrected SQL statement (there was a problem with Lounge tags))</P>I would do this with two queries. I hope you have some kind of ID field (primary key). In the following, I have assumed that you want to delete records from Table 1. If you want to delete from Table 2, adapt the instructions accordingly.

(1) Create a select query based on Table 1 and Table 2. Have it display the ID of the records you want to delete. This query is not updateable. Let's call it qrySelectID
    (2) Create a delete query based on Table 1 that deletes those records whose ID is returned by the select query. Its SQL is

DELETE * FROM <!t>[Table 1]
    WHERE ID In (SELECT ID FROM qrySelectID)

You must replace Table 1 by the actual name of the table, and ID by the name of the primary key field.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I dodged using 95, but I've found that delete queries that worked in 97 require the addition of the DISTINCTROW keyword before they'll work in 2000. There is a help article in 2000 from the user interface that covers the reasons a query might not be updateable. It can be found by typing "When can I update data from a query" (without the quotes) into the Answer Wizard's "What would you like to do" box.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

It worked like a charm. Thank you for your help