New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted mdw (access 2000)

I am working on my first database. I secured the database and everything worked fine while I was the only one using the database. One day five users logged on. Then the next day nobody could log on. I have been told there could be multiple reasons for this and not to worry, to just replace the mdw file with a copy of the original. I was told to the best way to avoid this is to try and educate the users on the proper way to log on and off the database. Does access have a problem with the mdw file getting corrupted? I haven't heard anything on this before.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted mdw (access 2000)

Are you sure the mdw file is the problem? Is everyone accessing the same mdw file everytime they log on? While it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it got corrupted (it wouldn't surprise me in the least if anything in Access got corrupted), I've never experienced a corrupted mdw file in amongst all the other corruptions I've seen over the years. There's no improper way that I can think of to log on to a database. If people either turn off their computers without exiting the database or leave the database running when the network is taken down, then all bets are off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

They had to of been accessing the same mdw file because that was the only database any of those computers had access to. Everyone was able to log on to the database one day then the next no one could, everyone got an unrecognized user message. I didn't join those computers to the work group they automatically joined when they logged onto the database. I am guessing they automatically joined because that was the only database they had access to.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do they have Access or the runtime installed on their PCs or is this some other kind of environment, like Citrix? If Access or its runtime is on their machines, then they have a System.mdw on their machines as well and they'll use that by default unless you have a shortcut that includes a pointer to the required mdw file. You *can't* automatically join a workgroup when you log onto a database. It works the other way around--you have to join a workgroup in order to log onto a secured database. You're going to have to explain what you did to secure the database in the first place and how you're pushing the mdw to their machines, if in fact that's what you're doing.
    Charlotte