2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

optimizing DAO db connection (Access 97/2k)

I have an Access 97 database that I've converted to 2000. The decision, for now, is not to rewrite DAO statements using ADO. There are a lot of functions that open and close a connection to the database within themselves. Is there any way to have one global connection to the database, or just to use currentdb without creating a copy of it? It seems to me that the code will be much faster if I don't have to keep creating and closing a connection to the db.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: optimizing DAO db connection (Access 97/2k)

You might define a global variable of type DAO.Database in a standard module.
    Set this variable to CurrentDb in the OnLoad event of the startup form of your database, or in an AutoExec macro (you need to call a VBA function with the RunCode action for the latter). Now, you can refer to the variable wherever you need a reference to the database.
    BTW, the penalty of referring to the current database is not really serious, I believe. Opening and closing a connection to an external database is far worse, because the Jet engine then keeps on creating and deleting the .ldb file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My problems is not so much where to define and set the global variable, it's where to close it! Also, when you say that the penalty of referring to the current db is not really serious, do you mean that I can use the currentDB object, or that constantly creating and closing connections to the current database should not take much of a toll on my system?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

(a) I often use a central form in my database; users can only close the database from there (apart from crashing of course...), and I set global object variables to Nothing in the OnClose event of the form.

([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, using code like

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Set dbs = CurrentDb
    ... 'code using dbs
    Set dbs = Nothing

doesn't cause a heavy load on the system.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, option a) won't work for me b/c the powers that be don't want a central form for this db, so I don't have control over closing. I guess I'll have to look for other ways to make this code faster [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The powers that be don't have to know anything about the form. Just open it hidden when the database is opened. Hans isn't talking about a switchboard necessarily, just a form that will carry out cleanup duties when the database closes. Maintaining the global object variable *is* the best way to make the connections faster, and it reduces network load.
    Charlotte