New Lounger
    Thanks

IE6 stays in offline mode when opening (IE6.2600)

When I open IE6 under Win XP, its behaviour depends on whether the machine is in Online or Offline mode. Quote from help file: "When you choose to work offline, Internet Explorer will always start in Offline mode until you click Work Offline again to clear the check mark." This is pretty dumb behaviour, and it is not how IE6 works under Win 98 (even though the help file is the same), where it always opens in online mode and hence immediately calls up the connect dialog if the start page is not local. Does anyone know how to make IE6 under XP behave like IE6 under Win 98?

And another thing: why do I have to click the Refresh button twice (i.e. two single clicks) in order to get the connect dialog that way?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE6 stays in offline mode when opening (IE6.2600)

Under Internet options, General Tab, Temporary Internet Files, Settings, what is checked? I'm fishing here - trying to get some ideas.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just the "automatically" radio button.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Also fishing...what's checked in Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab for dialing up? Should be "Always dial my default connection."

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's right, "always dial my default connection".

Thanks, Miz. Are you sure it's anything to do with my settings? I have had this trouble on another machine with Win XP Home. Do you have such a machine? All I have to do to create the problem is to have a web page (not an html file on my own machine) as my Internet startup page and cancel out of the connect dialog in Outlook Express. That puts the system in "working offline". Then I close down Outlook Express, and then launch IE and I get that wretched page that says it's not available. Can no-one out there reproduce this behaviour?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you change your settings option to "Every visit to the page"?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The Work Offline setting is "Global" -- meaning that if you choose Work Offline in Outlook Express, then IE works offline also. If you close OE with Work Offline set, then IE opens in the "Work Offline" mode. I firmly believe that is the nature of the beast.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, R2, that seems to go the heart of it. The setting is certainly "Global". Under both Win 98 and Win XP, if you go "work offline" in one, you find the checkmark has changed in the File menu in the other. But there's also a question of whether it's "permanent". In Win XP it is. When you close IE and reopen it, the setting is as it was before. In Win 98 it's not: the setting gets reset to "working online" when you open IE after closing both IE and Outlook Express. To really get to the bottom of this, one would need to know where the setting is stored. I presume the Registry but I didn't find it. Perhaps it's in a different area of the Registry in the two systems?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It is in the registry -- but the Work Offline check boxes simply toggle it off or on:

ON-line:

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionInternet SettingsGlobalUserOffline: 0x00000000

OFF-line:

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionInternet SettingsGlobalUserOffline: 0x00000001

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's brilliant. Just the handle I needed. In fact the live registry key is HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware... etc. (This gets written to the actual user's settings when the user logs out, and written back again when the user logs on.)

On checking what happens to this key, I find that under Win 98, it gets reset to not off-line (i.e. online) when you close IE or Outlook Express, but not if the other of these programs is still open. Under Win XP, this resetting does not occur. Therefore, when you open IE or Outlook Express under Win 98, provided the other program is not already open, it always opens in online mode. The help file accurately describes the situation under XP, but not under 98.

The problem occurs if you go offline unintentionally by cancelling out of the Connect dialog. Cancelling has the same effect as clicking "work offline". It shouldn't do that. Cancel should not change any settings, but it does.

And another curiosity. I have been in the habit of making my home page under IE an html file on my own machine which contains all my commonly used links set out as I like them. I have just noticed that when you do that under Win XP, the Online or Offline menu item doesn't appear in IE for the whole of that IE session. It can however be accessed in the File menu in Outlook Express.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Correct -- I should have pointed to the HKCU key. Very interesting phenomenon... I would why MS decided to change this behavior.... ????