Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 Labels (2000)

Hello Everyone
    I am brain dead today and need some help. I would like to make mailing labels from information stored in a query of all of our students that attend a particular school. I only want to send one letter per household. My problem is, I can not figure out how do a query that will extract that information. I can get it for all the students or for the students with duplicate addresses(more than one in the family attends the school), but I can not get the information I am looking for.

Can some one please help?

Thanks
    Wendy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 Labels (2000)

Let me ask you this. You have a family in which 2 childeren (Mark and Jane) attend the same school. You say you only want to print 1 label. Exactly 2hat do you plan to print on the label? That is, do you plan to use a name? And if so, which one?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The information I want on the label is the mailing name, mailing address, mailing city, mailing state and mailing zip. This information is entered for every student. I don't know what I keep doing wrong, but if the information is entered more than one in either a table or query, I get the information more than once on every query I run.

thanks
    Wendy

Thanks

As Mark said, which name needs to go on the label. If a family has 5 students, each attending the school, whose name should go on the label (which one of the five). To get around this, have the query use the Last Name, Mailing Address, City, State, and zip and then group on the last name. This should eliminate the duplicates.

Now for some other questions.
    - How do you update your list such that students that no longer attend the school or have changed addresses have current information? Watch for this so you don't print extra labels.
    - Why would the information be entered more then once for a student as you indicated? Wouldn't a student only have one address? If not, how will you know which address to use?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As mentioned before in this thread, if you just want to include the last name, you can create a group by query, or set Unique Values to Yes.

If you want to include the first names of the children, have a look at the thread starting at <post#=164708>post 164708</post#>; there is some discussion there how to concatenate names.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try this. In your query make a calculated field with [lastname] & [address1] (concatenated)
    Go View/show totals
    Under the calculated field select Group By
    Under all the other fields field select Last
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia