New Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting a specific printer tray (Windows XP/Word 2002)

Our office will shortly be transitioning to Windows XP/Office 2002, and I
    am in the midst of testing all of our templates and macros. I am
    currently pulling my hair out because I am unable to figure out how to
    direct, for instance, the final print of a letter document, to pull from
    Tray 2 of an HP4100, 4050, or 4000 printer. Tray 2 contains our watermark
    bond paper. In Office 95 and 97, we simply told the print macro for that
    template to pull a final print from Tray 2. However, Word 2002 doesn't
    recognize Tray 2, and I can't seem to figure out how to force the job to
    print there. Has anyone done anything with this in your office? If so,
    I'd appreciate any feedback that you can provide. Thanks much.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting a specific printer tray (Windows XP/Word 2002)

This is Windows XP, not Office XP settings. When in Word you press Ctrl-P, you will see drop-down list of all installed printers, started with your default printer. Next to this list is Properties button. Click it and then Paper/Quality tab. In the drop-down list you will see a list of trays available. You can select "Tray 2" from this list. Word will print from tray 2 on this printer until you close Word or change settings back.

To make printing from Tray 2 easier, create a new printer (Start | Printers and Faxes | Add New Printer). Name it, say, "HP Tray 2", and install printer with the same settings as you have. After installing, right-click it, select Properties, then Device Settings tab, then click on underline word after "First available Tray:" (it will became drop-down list) and choose Tray 2.

Then in Word, choose Tools | Customise, then Commands tab. Delete your Print icon (drag and drop it outside the bar), and from left pane select "Print..." (not "Print" !) icon, drag and drop it in place on your bar. Click OK. Now, when clicking Print icon, it will open you Printer dialog (the same as Ctrl-P) and you can choose between printers with default settings (Tray 1) and Tray 2 printer.

You can also add the command to print from Tray2 printer in your macro.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I really want to control which tray they print to from within VB. The code that we used in Word 97 was this:
    With ActiveDocument.PageSetup
    .FirstPageTray = 2
    .OtherPagesTray = 2
    End With

'DISPLAYS PRINT DIALOG BOX, TAKES USER INPUT AND MAKES IT SO ... they get to select which printer to send the job to
    Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show 'shows print dialog box
    Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Update 'updates values

Then we switched the paper tray back to default (so anything new would print on just plain white paper, rather than watermark bond):

'SWITCH BACK TO DEFAULT TRAY
    With ActiveDocument.PageSetup
    .FirstPageTray = 0
    .OtherPagesTray = 0
    End With

However, Word 2002 does not recognize "2" as Tray 2. Nor does it recognize "Tray2" or Tray 2" as tray 2. I've also tried "wdPrinterUpperBin", "wdPrinterMiddleBin", and "wdPrinterLowerBin". All of these seem to just be ignored, and all print jobs come from Tray 3, which is the default. Do you know of any other VB code which can be used to force the job to print to a specific tray? We have the Tray Type set to "Letterhead", but I can't see any VB code which can be used for Tray Type.

Thanks

Were you able to solve this? When in doubt about constants, it can be helpful to record macros of yourself interactively setting the trays.

If the user changes the printer after you assign the trays, the results may be unpredictable because different constants may identify different tray assignments for different printers. It really would be safer to capture the print dialog results first (using the .Display method) and then, based on what you learn there, change the page setup, and then .Execute the print dialog.