New Lounger
    Thanks

Right Function (2000 SR1)

I'm trying to display the last 4 digits of a text field in a report. I've tried using the "right" function as listed in the help files, to no avail. The field is actually a series of numbers, with leading zeros (linked to a propriety Access DB), & I want to loose the zeros.
    TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Right Function (2000 SR1)

If all you want to do is get rid of the zeros just convert the value to a number using the Val() function. If Right() isn't working, you'll need to post the code you're trying to use.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not au fait at all with VBA so I was putting the "function" into the report text box like this;
    =right([Qry-FLT-by-driver]![HI_IDENT],4)
    The HI_IDENT being the troublesome field.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The <font face="Georgia">[Qry-FLT-by-driver]!</font face=georgia> part is incorrect. If your report has Qry-FLT-by-driver as Record Source, you should be able to use
    <font face="Georgia">=Right([HI_IDENT],4)</font face=georgia>
    If Qry-FLT-by-driver is a form (confusing name in that case), you should use
    <font face="Georgia">=Right([Forms]![Qry-FLT-by-driver]![[HI_IDENT],4)</font face=georgia>
    Just to be sure: in both cases, these go into the Control Source property of the text box.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well that almost works, I don't now get a parameter box, but the report shows "#Error" for that field. BTW the record source is a query.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure that you have no typos - the name of the field must be exactly the same as in the record source.

One other thing to check for, is missing references. Open any module (if you don't have one, just activate the Visual Basic Editor). Select Tools/References... If any reference in the list starts with MISSING, uncheck it. Then click OK. Switch back to Access and try opening the report.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure the name of the field in your report is not HI_IDENT - you can't have the name of a field be in the control source expression for that same field.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah that got it. The text box name was holding me back. Thank you everybody (the previous posts were from work).