Thread: Copy Here

alk

Copy Here

If I select an item and then right click, I sometimes get Copy and other times get Copy Here. What is the difference and why are the choices different? What is Copy Here?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Copy Here

Hi Al,

I'm not familiar with "Copy Here" but can tell you that the right click, or shortcut menus are context sensitive and will present a different range of choices depending on the conditions in the selection where you right-click (for example, try right-clicking in the middle of a misspelled word).

To get a look at all of the shortcut menus, go to Tools/Customize, click on the Toolbars tab, and then click a checkmark next to ShortCutMenus (which will be at the bottom of the list of toolbars).

A Shortcut Menus toolbar will appear. Click on the dropdown menus and then on any of the subitems there to see all of the various flavors of shortcut menus.

Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al:
    There is NO "copy here" in Word. However, if you drag something on the desktop, a context menu will come up saying move here, copy here, create shortcut here. I'll bet that's when you see it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I get copy here and move here in Word, but I haven't determined why.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you find out what causes it, I'd like to know. I've never seen it on any context menu. Where exactly do you see it?

Lounger
    Thanks

I can highlight text and sometimes get it. It's kind of irritating since it does not seem to actually copy the text. But if I use the drawing toolbar and create a text box and perform the copy here, I can then drag the second text box away from the first, so I know it did perform the copy. In the straight text situation, the irritation is just in having to right click until I get a normal copy option so I can paste the text I wanted, although I really use the keyboard more for this now anyway. I'm using Word 2000, but I've seen this through 95 and 97. I've tried but I cannot consistently make the shortcut come up in either way, although right clicking with the cursor in the highlighted and high and to the left seems to more consistently bring up copy here.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'll be d----! I forgot all about that. OK, now I know what's happening. It's drag & drop editing. If you select something & left click your mouse, you just move it. If you Ctrl+drag, you just copy it. That's what I've been doing for years.

I had forgotten that if you first select the text & release the mouse button & then <font color=blue><font face="Comic Sans MS">RIGHT CLICK & HOLD THE MOUSE DOWN & DRAG</font face=comic></font color=blue>, you get a menu that says move here, copy here, link here (& cancel) .<font color=red>EVERY TIME.</font color=red>

alk

I attempted to make the occurrence of "Copy here" as simple as possible in order to eliminate other variables.

Placing the cursor over a word then left double click selects that word. Now right clicking without moving the mouse brings up the context sensitive menu. Some times it contains "copy" and other times it contains "Copy Here". The same is true of "move". I can not figure out what I am doing different each time the menu changes.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Out of curiousity I've gone back and looked at the default contents of every one of the built-in shortcut menus in Word 2000.

The Copy Here and Move Here commands do not appear on any of these menus, and they are almost certainly being triggered by the drag and drop functionality.

As a test, I found that if I move the mouse even the slightest bit over some selected text (while right clicking), the Copy Here and Move Here commands do appear on the menu.

The trigger point for this could also be a function of mouse movement sensitivity, in which case the amount of movement required to trigger this menu may vary from user to user. (And of course if you live in California, this movement may be triggered without you needing do anything!)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, Gary. And it can take a very steady hand not to bring up the "here" menus. You can always tell which will come up if you look carefully. Before a "here" menu comes up, you will see a ghost rectangle just below the shaft end of the arrow cursor.

jeffz

I have discovered that the Copy Here menu will appear if you simply HOLD DOWN the right mouse button for more than a simple click. The cursor changes while you hold down the button. Releasing the button displays the Copy Here menu. No motion is really necessary. Try it.
    [img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yep. Your absolutely right. You hold it down just until that ghost of a rectangle appears, then release--and the menus there.