Thread: Fax Modems

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fax Modems

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a faxmodem that works as well as a fax machine in receiving faxes. I have a W2K server with a Lunar / Lucent chipset internal PCI data/fax/voice modem, ITU-T V.92 V.90 56K. The modem receives faxes with no problems from some certain fax machines, and then has problems receiving from other fax machines. I'm assuming the problem probably has something to do with fax Group III/ II / I compatibility. Faxing into the server is a must-have app for my client. OR, should I be looking somewhere else (in the server software perhaps, which is W2K's built-in Fax server) to try to get better results?

It seems that someone should have come out with a fax modem that does everything a fax machine can do.

Thanks for replying.

Charlie T.

Thanks

Re: Fax Modems

After trying four or five internal cards I gave up attempting to find a 'neat' solution. Currently using an external US Robotics 56K Faxmodem with minimal problems in two locations running 24/7. My trials did include an older US Robotics PCI card solution - the current internal equivalent of the external type should be (in theory) just as good as the external we use.

Your profile doesn't show where you are from, but this link to US Robotics may give you an idea of what to look for.

If you are looking for recommendations for fax server software, make a post in the Servers forum for a better all-round response.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fax Modems

Leif,
    Thanks for the reply. Honestly, if the modem is the issue then it really doesn't matter which fax software we're using -- the software that comes with the server is adequate.

Thanks for the link, too.

CT