New Lounger
    Thanks

internet access (OE 6)

Could not find a better place to put this question. I have a dedicated phone line for modem because 6 line phone system is old, is not set up to allow modems or fax to access line. We have had just dial up modem. Can use with only one computer at a time. Our computers are not networked. We have the dedicated phone line run to 2 computers that are about 200 feet apart (through buildings). I am getting DSL on my computer next week, need desperately for speed. We are also receiving a new computer next week for the other location, with free dial up access included with purchase. My question, can I use DSL and a dial up modems on that one phone line? Then I could worry about networking (and expense) later.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: internet access (OE 6)

Yes, you can have a dial-up connection and DSL up at the same time and with different machines. I've done this at home while testing dialup and VPN software. DSL uses an extra, unused pair of wires in telephone cable, so the two are really separate connections into your office/home. Our DSL is on our fax line, and we can receive faxes whether or not the DSL is active. So you could be on the internet on your PC with DSL, and the other computer can use the phone line for dial-up.

Does that answer your question? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: internet access (OE 6)

Yes, thank you. That's the answer I was looking for.