Time sheet input

I'm trying to set up a database to monitor employees' future time commitments over an 8-week rolling period by job number. I have created a table, tblTime, which stores the data - StaffID, JobNumber, WeekEnding, DaysCommitted. To make the input form more user friendly I would like to set up a form/sub form so that employees can enter job numbers in the first column and then days committed to the job in 8 columns of the same row (some columns will be blank if no time is committed).

I can produce the format I want using a crosstab query (JobNumber as Row heading and Weekending as Column heading) but that is obviously not updateable. The only other way I can think of is to use a supplementary table to capture the 8-week data and then use VBA to transfer the data to the tblTime table but that seems to be long-winded.

Does anyone know of a more "elegant" solution.

Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Time sheet input

The simplest way to do this would be to use an unbound form or subform for the input or editing for each item and a crosstab to display the results. Trying too hard to make the input form match output expectations will tie you in knots and is detrimental to good database design.