3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bibliography (Word 2000/XP)

I am working on a bibliography for a professor. She needs this format. Numbered 1-568, first ling hanging indent, next line, then one space and then the annotation, one line and then the next entry. I thought I had it ok by entering shift+enter for a break that does not interrupt the numbering scheme, however since it is one actual paragraph, I cannot make the annotation to line up under the first character of the entry.

HELP! Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bibliography (Word 2000/XP)

Hi Melanie:
    From your description, you are putting in a space before the annotation. Why? After you press Shift+Enter, you should not have to put a space at the beginning of the line. Adjust your indentation, if necessary.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - I should have said one line. She needs to have one line after the entry and before the annotation. The problem is I cannot change the alignment so hanging indent and the annotation line up. When you use shift+enter, the annotation takes on the same formatting as the entry. I cheated and used a table for the first 10 entries but the second book has 500 entries!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Probably, the following is too naive. Have you considered using the ListNumber and ListContinue styles? For efficiency, you could assign them to shortcut keys and/or custom toolbar buttons.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Melanie:
    I agree with Hans. I was going to suggest that you use two or three styles, depending upon how many elements (lines) of each bibliography you'll have. You can modify the first style (e.g. List Number) so that it is followed by List Continue (Format/Style/List Number/Modify/Style for following paragraph. Then you'll only need a shortcut key for the List Number style.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok - I will try your suggestions. The professor is going to forward me the entire file without numbering. She had a grad student enter all the data. The student used hard returns after the first line and then a tab to create the hanging indent, another hard return for the next line and then two hard returns to separate the annotation from the next entry. Should I first find and replace the hard returns with spaces and the double hard returns with single returns?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will you explain List Number and List Continue Styles. I have read so much about styles, but nothing that explains why I would choose List Continue. I have used List and List 2, etc. for setting up styles for different levels of autonumbering. Should I have used List Number rather than List?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan:
    It really depends upon what you're trying to do. The List Number style will give you an incremental number whenever the <enter> key is pressed. The List Continue styles will give you the same format (with the indentation) without increasing the numbering. Therefore, you can have several paragraphs under each numbered paragraph.
    Cheers,