Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Website access problem (IE 6)

I have an odd problem which may not be IE6 related, for all I know, but it's the best place to start.

There are about a few websites I am having a particularly difficult tiime accessing, but especially four of them -- and all four are travel sites (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) With Expedia, for example, I can put in a date range and city, and then search...but sometimes the site will just freeze, or at best, I will only be able to access the first two of six pages. With Travelocity, I can get the homepage, but when I click on, say, the Lodging tab, it comes up blank.

I thought this might be Spyware related, and ran Ad-aware with the latest signature file. No change. Someone suggested that it could be related to an IE6 conflict with McAfee Anti-Virus's Active-X/Java filter. I disabled that feature as a test, but again, no change.

Does this suggest anything to anyone? Thanks very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Website access problem (IE 6)

Do you accept cookies?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, yes, I do accept cookies. I'd hoped that that might be the problem, but no go...

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi rje--
    From time to time on a cable connection without changing any security settings or cookie settings, I have had trouble getting into Hotmail, Yahoo, and Google. This is fixed by rebooting and pulling the modem plug ("power cycling"), but with multiple windows open I don't like to reboot. Sometimes a page won't load after I added a pop up stopper that is nearly 100% effective and this is remedied by hitting the Ctrl or Shift key. I know this is basic, but if you haven't, clean the temp internet files or cache and the temp files--%temp% in the run box is an easy way to get to them if you are having the problem. Does that help you get to these sites? What kind of connection are you on--dial up/HSD?

defrag

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the detailed answer. Yes, I had emptied my cached and temporary files, and just tried that again after reading your note. Same problem. And since I use a dial-up connection, your modem cable suggestion would have no effect for me.

There's another odd thing I've noticed, which may strike a chord with someone. When I go to Travelocity first, it seems to load reasonably well. But if I go to Expedia first (where I experience the worst problems) and *then* go to Travelocity, the latter always experiences the "freezing" problem I described earlier.

I recognize that this might be one of those, "Oh, well, these things happen" situations, which would be a shame since these are two significant travel sites. But...oh, well, these things do happen...

Again, thanks.

rjre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

After deleting the cache (Temporary Internet Files), go into DOS & delete index.dat; it'll be rebuilt. Also, you can try going to the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/ & scroll to IE. Choose Add/Remove & you'll get to a repair screen which you can run. Not sure this will work but it certainly can't hurt.
    Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I tried both of your suggestions, but neither seemed to solve this bizarre problem.

rje

Administrator
    Thanks

rje, Are those sites in the restrice sites zone? Have you changed any of the default settings for any of the zones?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate your response. Thanks very much.

No, they aren't restricted sites. And I've been able to access them all in the past with no problems. Expedia.com seems to be one of the main culprits, but it's cropped on on several others. (The problem tends to seem worse with the others *after* I go to Expedia and things clog up there.

As for changing zones, no, I haven't done that.

I was told that another situation I've faced in recent months -- my History list is non-existent -- is likely do to conflicts with McAfee VirusScan's Active-X protection. I don't know if that's related to this current problem or not, though when I temporarily removed the Active-X virus blocker, the website access problem remained.

rje

Administrator
    Thanks

rje, You're welcome. VirusScan has caused problems on many systems. Can you give a list of what you are running at the time? OS, other applications, startup apps that run as services, etc.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I just uninstalled VirusScan and loaded NAV, hoping upon hope that that would solve the problem. (At least I was planning to do this anyway. I didn't switch just to test the access problem.) But nope. Same deal. Not VirusScan related.

As for the apps I'm running, it depends -- Lotus Organizer, Outlook Express and IE 6 tend to be running most of the time. The OS is Windows XP. Unfortunately, my expertise stops at understanding what "startup apps as services" means.

I really appreciate the efforts of folks here. Thanks.

rje

Thanks

Have you checked your 'Hosts' file? Many travel co.s are in there since they are often an irritable source of ads.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There are several programs that will help you figure out your Startup items. You can find some of them here. For something quick and dirty -- but fairly complete -- use the "Startup List" program mentioned and it gives you a text print out that you can copy and paste here if you have questions.

Then, if you have scripting off you can get blank pages at expedia.com if you click on the calenders for the Depart and Return dates. BUT... if you click on the green Search button you get this:

Please activate scripting

Scripting must be enabled before you can continue. To enable scripting, you need to make a simple adjustment to your browser settings.

So, if you DON'T get that message when you click Search, I have to assume your Scripting is working.

Also, when you have a blank page in front of you, right-click on it and select "Veiw Source". Highlight and copy what you find and paste it here. Look especially for Meta-Refresh tags.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Sorry for the delay, but I just got back from out of town. If I may ask a question of total ignorance -- what is a "Hosts" file? (It sounds from your description like it's related to blocking, though to be clear Expedia and Travelocity don't appear to be blocked -- I can browse much of them fine, clicking on the various tabbed areas -- though not all areas load and they also tend to freeze up at a certain point in the Search process.) I do appreciate everyone's attempt to figure this out, but it might be "one of those things."

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much. At the moment, I'm not getting the blank page, just the "freeze up" problem, so copying the View Source text is muuuuuuuch too long to post. (I checked it out, and it's pages and pages.) And let me correct a previous response I just posted -- what I wrote holds true for Expedia, but I'm not able to load Travelocity at the moment. (And I do have cookies enabled for both.) Also, no "Please activate scripting" messages. Ah, well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast