New Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting in Excel Charts (Word 97 SR-2)

Is there a way to inset a good quality version of an Excel chart into Word *without* the workbook? I'm putting together a doc with umpteen of these charts and the file size is huge!

Here are the details: The Excel charts are actually in a Powerpoint presentation. In each case, I select the Excel chart and press ctl-C to copy. Then in Word I use paste special to insert the chart. I've tried every option in the paste special menu and every option but one inserts the whole work book. The exception is "picture", which does insert just hte figure, but it loses all text rotation.

I've also tried saving the powerpoint files as a gif file but the quality of the charts in the resulting gif are lousy.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

-- Meg

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Pasting in Excel Charts (Word 97 SR-2)

Hi Meg,

The problem you're having is due to the Chart requiring an underlying worksheet to draw its data from. You could reduce the size of the workbooks in each case by selecting the worksheet sourced by the chart then doing Copy|Paste Special|Values. Then delete everything that isn't referenced by the chart, especially any unused rows/columns and formatting.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting in Excel Charts (Word 97 SR-2)

Thanks for the idea. Turns out, though, that another roundabout solution works, too. Select the chart, paste into Canvas and save. Then copy from canvas and paste to the word doc (unchecking float over text). This is a good bit of work but does make things smaller. Another approach was to simply save the huge word doc to pdf file.

Thanks again.