Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old Excite Title Bar (IE 6.0 SP 1)

I was originally one of the cable service suscribes through Home.com, using the Excite services. That was taken over by Rogers cable (up here in the Great White North) several months ago when the Excite went in the tank.

I had to rebuild my XP Home system after a major crash, and had to use the original @Home CD ROM to load those connectivity aspects. Now the excite title bar is back again, taking up space on my IE screen, and providing absolutely no useful service.

Anyone with any quick and dirty solutions (for this computer Luddite - no registry mods preferably) to take that bar out?

I've done a search for related keywords in the Lounge, but no success.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Old Excite Title Bar (IE 6.0 SP 1)

Can you post an image? Do you mean that the name Excite is on the IE title bar, or is there a separate Excite tool bar?? (Sorry, I never had Excite).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Search for these small scripts "unbrand.vbs" and "chgietitle.vbs" at http://www.dougknox.com/utility.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm entering this from work so it's from memory. The bar in question is very much like the Google bar, and in fact rests directly underneath Google. It has a window for entering, presumably, queries. Of course that doesn't work as Excite is long gone.

I'll try andpost an image later if Joe's suggestions in the following post don't work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe - I'll try these over the weekend contrary to the usual advice of "Kids, don't try this at home". I

It's not a usage or error problem, just a waste of screen space, and a continuing reminder of yet another e-world venture which went down the tubes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I believe Joe's post will work if the IE Title bar has been "Branded". What you are talking about sounds like a separate toolbar. That is usually a "Browser Helper Object".