3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CrossReferences updating (W97)

I have a macro that inserts a Software release number (bookmarked entry on the cover) when a toolbar button is activated. BUT, I don't want it to update when the information on the cover is altered. How do I break this link?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: CrossReferences updating (W97)

You'll have to provide more information on what you're trying to do. Normally you can test for some condition which if met, allows the branch of the code to insert the number to run. If the condition is not met, a different branch of code (or no code) runs. How you set up that conditional test depends on the details of what you need to do.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, let me try to be clear to someone other than myself....

In my template, the cover gathers document information from the user (Document Name, Version Number... ). These fields are bookmarked.
    Further down in my document, the user needs to label areas with the Version Number. I created a macro that inserts a cross reference, bookmarks' content at the end of the text line.

Step two, the user re-enters a document to create a new document (now Version 2.0) and updates the cover. When my fields are updated, they will now say 2.0 instead of 1.0.

Is there a way to "unlink" the field once it is populated?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you just want to insert the version number the first time, but never to update it, you don't need to insert a cross reference; you might just use InsertAfter or TypeText to insert the text of the version number.

If you still want to use cross references, they can (like any field) be unlinked manually by selecting them and typing Ctrl+Shift+F9. In code, you would use (for example) ActiveDocument.Fields("fieldname").Unlink or somerange.Fields.Unlink